Looking for something that probably doesn't exist

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)6' 200-210lbs, but I will probably lose 10-15lbs in the summer, maybe more :cool:
2) How physical / aggressive are you ? physical and aggressive most of the time
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? A little of everything
4) Do you have any riding experience? Yes
5) Do you think you will race ? No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? I'm thinking 4 stroke, but I don't have much experience with dirtbikes
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes, and all
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2000 or less if possible, but willing to spend a little more to find what I want
10) Do you live in California? No, Mississippi
11) Your age? 27
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

I'm looking for something that is a little universal. I've had streetbikes, sport quads, utility quads, and have ridden a few dirtbikes. However, I've never ridden a dirtbike for an extended period of time. I would like to find something that I can ride on trails and still have a good time on the track. Also, I would like to commute with it. :laugh:

So, like the title says, I'm not sure if this exists. I guess I'm looking to combine everything I've previously owned into one. How do trail bikes handle on the track? I don't plan on getting serious with it, but I do like to hit the jumps somewhat aggressively. I'm not going to be jumping any crazy triples or anything, but I'm not scared to push it a little. I was thinking about maybe a kit that would make a trail bike street legal. I saw a few kits like this when I had a sport quad, but would feel a little silly riding a quad in the city. :coocoo:

I'm sure I've left out some details, so just ask any necessary questions and I'll be sure to fill you in.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
AT 2k dollars you're pretty much priced out of the dual sport bikes that would handle track days. A DRZ400 might be doable but beware of the neglected ones. I would love a KTM450 dual sport but they're a bit pricey. It's a small group of bikes that will fit what you want as most of the street legal ones won't like the track.

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
Yea, it's kinda what I figured. I guess I will just have to buy two. :p

Thanks for the input though. What exactly are the differences between a track bike and trail bike? I know trail bikes have headlights and I assume that there may be some other cosmetic differences, but what gives the Mx bike an edge on the track? Weight?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
RubaDub06 said:
Thanks for the input though. What exactly are the differences between a track bike and trail bike? I know trail bikes have headlights and I assume that there may be some other cosmetic differences, but what gives the Mx bike an edge on the track? Weight?

Engine, Weight, Suspension, and Tires generally. Budget be damned your best choice for a do it all scenario you describe is one of the KTM 450 EXC or depending on how stringent the regulations are in your state trying to make a Honda CRF450X street legal.

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
RubaDub06 said:
Yea, it's kinda what I figured. I guess I will just have to buy two. :p

Chili basically has it covered. I would just add that I usually see more trail bikes that are 4-stroke machines, (for longer trails they get better fuel mileage,.etc). 2-strokers are more "peppier"..snappier powerbands for quicker launches...etc. Enduro's usually weigh more too, (my 1981 Yamaha IT-125 weighed 202lbs. dry,..and my 1982 Suzuki RM-125 was 192 lbs. dry). Enduros have larger fuel tanks as well, to go further..hence them being wider...In a moto-X race,..an Enduro would be too difficult to maneuver over the triple jumps,..tight corners with jet-like exit launches...[just my 2-cents worth].

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I have not thought about the size of the gas between the models. It sounds like I will be looking for an MX bike as that is the main reason I chose to purchase a bike in the first place. That said, how does an MX bike handle trails? With the gas tank being smaller, as was just pointed out, how long can I expect to ride before filling up? I don't plan on doing any night riding, so having a headlight is not an issue. Although when I rode trails with my quads I always had my lights on to make myself more visible.

How big of a difference is there between a 250 4 stroke and a 450 4 stroke? Obviously 200 more ccs, but would a 450 just up and leave a 250, assuming the riders are of the same skill, or would a 450 really only be useful in the hands of a seasoned rider? I just want to make sure I don't outgrow something too fast and regret not getting a 450 to start with. That is what happened with my 600 sportbike. It was a good first bike, but after a month I was a little bored with it. While I'm not an extremely experienced rider, I do have sense enough not to push to hard right out of the box. Also, being a little bit bigger of a guy I'm pretty confident I can handle the bigger bike, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. Sorry for the long post.

I'm sure that all of this has been covered on the forums and I could probably find my own answers if I just researched a little more, but it's really more of piece of mind for me to ask a question and get a direct answer than reading several things and trying to piece together my own answer.

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
Rubadub06,..there are a lot of other factors to consider as well,...I didn't mean to turn you totally off of "dual purpose bikes". One such consideration would be...the region/area in which you live,...how are the local riding grounds for area/space? When you go riding,..do you have to ride your bike through trails..the bush..etc.,..before you even get to the "riding" area?, (or do you bring your bike there in a truck or trailer?). THE RIDING "AREA" ITSELF...is it one track or field?..or an array of tracks/areas within say....a 20 square mile radius? *The reason I ask is...amount of "fuel" needed for an afternoons ride. An MX bike can ride quite a ways also in a day of trail riding....but..if you're riding to the riding site,...and then "riding" the trails all day,..and then expecting to ride home as well.......(I've been there with a 1982 RM-125(1.7 gallon tank), ....drove to pit, [12miles], rode all day,[taking breaks], and rode back home,[12miles]. Sometimes I'd be pushing the bike after running out of fuel....on my 1981 IT-125 enduro,[2.2gallon tank],..I never ran out.[it had lots of power...I was happy,...BUT!..I was happier with the RM's power]. They were both great, fun bikes...but truthfully,...I loved the RM-125 more. Its powerband was second to none!,..this bike flew..kept going flawlessly for 12 years,(only changed rear tire twice,..top-end once,..sprockets+chain 3-times). You?..never mind,..I'M sorry for the long post,...I could go on and on with reasons,..stories,..examples,..etc. ....because.."I LOVE BIKES!!! **p.s; I'm 6' and 217lbs. myself!

Last edited:

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
Honestly, I'm not sure what the track looks like in my hometown. I just moved here and just found a local track on the internet. I would be towing the bike there and back though.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Again your budget will be a factor in this decision or at least it would be for me as I would never buy a $2000 or less used 250 or 450 4 stroke, you are one engine hiccup away from a potential $1500-2000 rebuild/repair.

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
Would a 2 stroke be more suitable to the budget? What about a $2500-$3000 budget? I like the 4 stroke because it's quiet and maybe more reliable. But, I do love the sweet smell of a 2 stroke.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
MX 4 strokes are louder and more complex as far as engine design. More complex means more maintenance and cost.

2500-3k would score you a next to new late model 2 stroke or even a nice 4 stroke with low hours. Any neglected mx bike will be a money pit reguardless of engine type, 4 strokes just have more engine parts to fail. Watch for a nice clean low hour bike.

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
I thought the 2 stroke required more maintenance, shows what I know. I will give 2 strokes a better look. Is there anything particular I should be looking for when I look at these bikes? Aside from smooth shifting, easy start, good idle, anything that might not be obvious? I'm glad I made this thread, very informative.

FLYING.FINN

Mar 3, 2010
2-strokes don't have "valves"/valve seats,..the "piston" IS the "exhaust" valve, the piston is the piston....anyways!,..check out; Kijiji "name-of-your-town-here" , under motorcycles,..then the "dirtbikes" sub-category,..you should find some nice MX'ers in there. Do you have a friend there...or anyone knowledgable to go look at prospective bikes with you? ...remember: "buyer beware"! *also..1)if the bike is hard to start,..or needs excessive tinkering/bump-starting to start..RUN! 2) GUY SAYS, "IT'S NEVER NOT STARTED BEFORE"!...or, "i've never heard that sound before"...or,.. "yeah,...most everything is here to put it together...it runs GREAT"! ..run!! **just use common sense and good judgement,..check for leaks before+ during operation,..check that oil isn't milky,..or no oil in the coolant,..etc. [worn hand-grips,..bald tires,..wear,..etc.]..say you'd "PREFER AN UN-RACED BIKE" gl.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
A good, simple rule of thumb is look how clean it is. If it's all muddy when you get there pass on it. You'll know when you find a well cared for bike, it will show. As stated, it should start easily and have no oil leaks. Look for things like hooked sprocket teeth, frayed cables, broken levers, bent bars or misaligned body parts. Grab the tires and shake them side to side to feel for loose bearings. Any clunking in the suspension is bad. Brakes should have firm resistance and stop well. If you're not sure about a bike let us know and we'll try to help you out.

RubaDub06

Mar 6, 2010
I am a member of quite a few forums. Jeep forums, ford forums, paintball forums, diesel forums, quad forums. I have a lot of hobbies if you can't tell. Only the jeep forum even comes close to comparing the support I've found here. Thanks for the advice and I look forward to any further recommendations.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
leaky forks or shock

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
If looking for a 4 stroke I would suggest a DRZ400
If looking for a 2 stroke I would suggest a KDX200/220/250
Go and find some and have a ride.

I would probably stay away from the modern 450 4-strokes for what you are after as they have more power than most people need and can be expensive to maintain.

Joburble

Bring back the CR500
~SPONSOR~
Jul 20, 2009
_JOE_ said:
A good, simple rule of thumb is look how clean it is. If it's all muddy when you get there pass on it.
I 100% agree. If they don't understand enough to make the bike look mint when it's up for sale, it is fairly certain they didn't maintain it well.

In regard to what to look for, check the oil. Look at the oil through the site glass on the side or have the owner undo the oil filler and stick your finger in the gearbox to get some oil on it.

I was looking at a CR500 and the condition of the oil in the gearbox was the deciding factor on me NOT buying the bike. The oil was no color of any good condition oil I have ever seen, unless silverygrey is something new and fancy.

Top Bottom