Looking for suspension setup tips (TT-R250)

TheSlowGuy

Dec 31, 2001
Help!

I need some help setting up the suspension on my TT-R250. I'm 225 lbs, so the stock settings are a bit soft for me.

A few basic questions:

I want to set front and rear sag to ~100mm for this bike, correct? The front "preload" is only adjustable via air, and that is only up to 5psi. Is my only other option to add spacers?

The rear shock has the threaded collar and locknut type of preload adjustment. What type of tool do you recomend for this? On my streetbike I used a hammer and a screwdriver, and managed to mangle both collars pretty well. Lesson learned. :(

How do you know how to get the compression and rebound damping rates in the ballpark? On street bikes we do the "bounce" test - jump on the pegs and handlebars, and make sure on the way down it takes about a half second and on the way up it doesn't bounce. Pretty scientific I know, but it works decently enough. Any tricks like that for dirt bikes?

Thanks,
TSG
Faithfully getting smoked since 12/01

Last edited:

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
I have a TTR 250 and weigh about the same as you. Start with setting the rear sag at about 4 inches. If your spring is right, you should have around an inch of free sag. On the front, you should have around 1 1/2 inch of free sag. The compression on the front and rear should be set so that you are using nearly all the stroke and should bottom on the hard hits. I set the rear rebound setting by paying attention when I am braking hard. I increase the rebound until I start getting excessive chatter. If you would like me to go out and count the clicker positions, let me know.......CRX

TheSlowGuy

Dec 31, 2001
CRX,

Thanks for the info! A few more Q's for ya:

Is "free sag" the difference between the suspension unloaded and the suspension supporting the weight of the bike only?

What tool did you use to adjust the rear shock?

Are you running the factory springs in the forks? Did you add spacers? What PSI do you run in them?

Any way I can talk you into going out and checking those clickers?

If you ever get down to TNT, the chili-dogs* are on me! :confused:

TSG
* Not liable for injury or death as a result of consumption of TNT chili-dogs.

Top Bottom