bermy

Jun 13, 2008
Hello all,

I've been interested in buying a motocross bike for a quite a while now. I have previously owned a 1985 Honda XL 100 a 1994 RM 80(which I raced for 2 years). I haven't driven a bike in 10 years. I remember really liking the way the RM 80 motor ran(tons of bottom end) and would like to get something similar in the 125 class.

I see they're has been a huge 4-stroke revolution in racing bikes. Is this the way to go? Do these generally require less maintenance than 2 strokes? I remember having to get new piston/rings every summer in my 2 stroke 80. Is this also frequently required with 4-strokes? Is there a huge weight difference? How do they handle compared to 2-strokes?

Form:

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
5'9, 175 lbs

2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
ill be riding for fun.

3) what do you plan to ride?????
MX/SX tracks, woods

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Raced 80cc motocross for 2 years(12 years ago)

5) Do you think you will race ?
Maybe a couple, nothing serious

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Not really - but willing to learn

7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
Don't mind either

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
All brands would probably be accessible.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
not really sure, the key is finding a bike I want to spend money on. =-]

10) Do you live in California?
Ontario, Canada

11) Your age?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
well in my experience new 4strokes have needed more maitenance than 2strokes but if you keep up with all that you should be fine, but there is nothing wrong with 2strokes

i think you should go for a 250f of somekind but if you like the 2strokes a 125 would go nice or even a 250 2stroke

Top Bottom