Looking to get a bike...MX or Off-Road?

GixxedSpyder

Oct 5, 2003
I've been riding street bikes for ~7 years, and I'm looking to stay away from the police...hence trying to get a dirt bike. I've trying to figure out which bike to get and I've been seeing some stuff on on/off road bikes. What are the main differences between the two? It would be handy to be able to ride the bike on the road to get to a trail, but what would I be giving up? I'm about 5'9 and 165lbs, what do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance...

Bet On Red

Aug 11, 2003
well seeing that you ride a gixxer (I'm also a street riding) I'm sure you'll be wanting to hit the jumps and railing out of the turns. The dual purpose bikes arent really for jumping and railing through corners. You already have a street bike so i'd go for a MX bike. I'd say 2 stroke but the 4's are getting better after the hour!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Weight.
The main hold back (besides maybe power) between a dual sport and MX'er.
You can always make your bike street legal with a little duck tape....or not.
Please, stay AWAY from the four stroke MX'er!
Get a KX125 if you do track racing.
Get a KDX200 if you do trails or endro.
Get a KX500 if you do desert racing or flat track!

GixxedSpyder

Oct 5, 2003
What year KX125 should I look for? Should I go used? If so, how used? I don't really need anything state of the art, just something enough to take a few jumps and burn out of corners. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined so I don't mind a bike that I might have to do a little extra maintenance.

I sold the gixxer, unfortuanately...twas a sad day.

Thanks!

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I agree that the KDX200-220 is a great choice for a do everything bike but you should take a look at the 4 strokes. If you want a pretty fair do everything 4 stroke check out the XR400, if you want to ride MX there are lots of great 4 stroke bikes on the market.

GixxedSpyder

Oct 5, 2003
I'd like to spend around 1200-1500, then some more on gear... What year should i look for the kx125? I've seen some on cycle trader for under 2k, but i could use some guidance.

thanks!

crustydirt

Oct 9, 2002
I dunno know. Without a street bike, you (if your like me) might start missing the street. With a duel sport, it sure is nice to hooligan ride around town, and like you say, be able to ride to the local trails and such.

Might want to check out the prices on a DR350s (street model), 1990-1999. The later year DR's (maybe 1996 and up) had the same suspension as the off-road models, and as such, are a little more desirable. Very nice ones can be had easily for within your price range. Plus they are absolutely bullit proof.

Remember, making a mx'er street legal could set ya back a fair amount of change.

GixxedSpyder

Oct 5, 2003
I guess that I'm going to go strictly dirt then. If I end up missing the street, an on/off road bike will never satisfy me.

Consensus:

Need a dirtbike under 2k, best bets? I don't really mind if it was a 2 or 4 stroke, hitting the powerband is kinda like the turbo kickin' in... Is the KX125 what I should be shooting for? Is there a certain year I shouldn't go below?

Thanks!

Porstala F9

Jul 30, 2003
I have an 03 KX 125 and I love it.

Theres nothing like that power down low and that overall powerband that no other of my friends bikes can ever match with my personal preferance of riding.

What years do you see listed? There are really no year models in particualar that I have heard anything about being better/worse when compared to another. Kawasakis are solid bikes.

GixxedSpyder

Oct 5, 2003
Just looking at cycle trader, there are a bunch of them, I'd like to stay under 2k. I see alot of them with new "bars". Are they talking about handlebars?? Do the handle bars get torn up alot? Should I stay away from bikes that have new "bars", cause they might have been beaten up a bit?

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
Originally posted by GixxedSpyder
Are they talking about handlebars??

Yep, that's what they're talking about...

Do the handle bars get torn up alot? Should I stay away from bikes that have new "bars", cause they might have been beaten up a bit? [/QUOTE]

Stock handlebars generaly get bent pretty easy (aftermarkets are stronger), mine are replaced already! Putting new bars on an mx is a pretty common thing. Most generaly, an mx bike can take the abuse of a pretty good crash (people usually get hurt before the bike does). Some parts, like the handlebars for example, will bend before anything else does (not to say that nothing else will be wrong)...Best advice I can give is, look the bike over real good, check the suspension, frame (Bends, cracks, etc.), loose bushings, worn bearings, you know, and get the cleanest bike you can find. And of course, see if you can ride it before you buy it. Good luck in your hunting!

Telemaqq

Sep 5, 2003
i got a cr125 and i really like it! its a sweet bike, the only thing is the powerband is really small and in the high revs, but it sure is fun hitting the powerband and flying around those turns. i got it for 2500 with alota xtras, im pretty new to dirtbiking though, so i still dont know that much about it, i jsut made myself a berm and a jump, and im working on a track. i also dont know very much about the low end power of the kx125, but i think almost any of the 125 2 stroeks you would have fun with

Top Bottom