Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Wow…. What an incredible weekend for enduro riders and the Sandstormers. It truly does not get any better than what I experienced at this event. The course was, in my opinion, “phenomenal”. It was the perfect blend of terrain, section length, variety, resets, and timekeeping.

It was never “too much” of any one type of trail. Loved the way it was all mixed together, whether by design or not, it flowed very well. Tight stuff was broken up with some short, fast connectors, and there was fast, sweeping / flowing trail that was fun to snake through. Really liked blasting through the rough clear cut stuff too. And just when you had enough of the moon rocks, they threw you onto the plains for a bit to get recharged…. Then it was back into the gnarly moon rocks. In previous years you circled what seemed like endlessly in the moon rocks, and it got old. This year’s approach kept it fun but still really challenging. Liked the long 17 mile section too. Resets were perfect. And the final section was an excellent way to end a really fun event. (I hesitate to say, but I kinda wanted to keep riding at the end).

I was very surprised to trophy, expecting to be mid-pack again. After 3 years of not finishing as a C rider, and finally finishing just last year as a B, I was just pumped about how much fun I had riding the course. Sure I had my problems – Fell 3 times, missed arrows 3 times, backtracked on the wrong trail once, left second gas late! (jawing away about dirtbikes forgot about the time), then burned a check towards the end. But I think it just came down to the guy who had the fewest problems that day because there are way faster B-Senior riders out there.

I would, however, like to take this time to thank my sponsor, Staples and the Easy Button®. It is the single best bolt-on performance mod I’ve done to my bike. Dirt Rider should have a review out soon, but I know I'll definitely be running this device at the rest of the events.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RhWTAi5nkhU"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RhWTAi5nkhU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Slideshow / Pictures
http://d14enduro.org/Gallery/slideshow.php?set_albumName=2007_Loose_Moose

Many Thanks
- To the club, check workers, volunteers, and everyone else that helped create a memorable and rewarding experience

- To Mark, Nikki (? Bill's wife), Carrie, and Mrs. Jack D. for all the excellent help in sign-up and scoring. It was nice to be able to ride and not sit in front of a computer all weekend!

- DW, thanks for the flippin' cake! We enjoyed that with some ice cream while we crossed back over the mighty Mack.

- To the naysayers, doomsayers, and LM-haters who came back to give the Moose another chance. If you didn't like this event, you may need to consider another sport!

- Caleb.... For a little half-pint Zach had a great time hanging out with you. You think DW's funny, you should hear the gems that come out of this kid's mouth! He had Zach and I cracking up! :rotfl:

Notable Quotables
“Get the BLEEPIN’ @#$%&! OTTA DA G-DAMN WAY!”

- Amped X rider suffering an AFM seizure on the FES loop

"Hey! My trophy is bigger than yours! And my trophy is bigger than yours too! Hey Look! Your trophy is a lot smaller than mine! My trophy is the biggest one here! Mine is taller than yours! Your trophy is tiny and mine is bigger! See how big my trophy is!"
- 5 year old new enduro rider, hooked for life

"Restart? What flippin' restart? I thought all those people by the yellow flag were spectators!"
- A painful DNF at 7.7 miles out

"I am NEVER coming back to this G-Damn mofo’ event…. EVER!"
- Demoralized rider in 2006

"Where’s TrailBoss Nick? I need to give that man a good hug and a tug!"
- Smiling, hardware toting class winner in 2007

"Watch out as I blow your doors off Smit-Dog... I got a rabbit to chase today!"
- Dusty XR-70 rider on minute 13

"Gotta catch me in order to pass me…"
- Scared rabbit on minute 7

"It’s good ta go out on top..."
- Retiring TrailBoss after epic enduro event

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!!! :cool:

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Sexy indeed,

Smit-Dog, them there are some mighty fine put words!!

I'll second every one of them!! :nod:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Smit-Dog said:
"I am NEVER coming back to this G-Damn mofo’ event…. EVER!"
- Demoralized rider in 2006

"Where’s TrailBoss Nick? I need to give that man a good hug and a tug!"
- Smiling, hardware toting class winner in 2007
The best part is, BOTH these quotes are from the same person! :)

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Smit-Dog, I found an easy button. I'm going to have a one off aluminum housing made for mine at the local machine shop. Mounting brackets and protection all in one. Gotta love the junk you can find in your desk at work. Thanks for the idea, I think it's hilarious! Maybe now I can ride like a C rider instead of a D rider. :)

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
You going anodized or polished on the housing? Enduro or Trail version on the EZ Button®?

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Oh, I am sure it'll be polished. I don't think the local machinist is set up for anodizing. I am also thinking of installing a switch that will allow me to change from the trail to the enduro setting. The majority of my riding at this point is trail riding but every so often the leash is loosened and I get to go to an enduro. Heck, I think I've got my wife talked into running gas for me at Harrison so it'll definately be the dual purpose easy switch.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Jeff, if you are refering to me, just remember, I said I had a great time and you did a great job before I knew I won. :laugh:
I also thanked MR. Zambon and shook his hand at the last check.............. :yikes:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
No offense intended, Don. Just was pointing out the dramatic difference from last year to this year. Glad you (and many others) gave us a chance to show ya a good time.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Yeah I know, believe me I had to suck it up and eat those words. Its all good.

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
Fantastic ride Smit-Dog!!! Great to meet you and Zach and other MTR's.

Also Kudo's to Don Marsh. I had a mechanical problem and when I got it fixed he had caught me. I rode w/him thru the end of the Moon Rock section. He was smokin' on the sections between the Rocks then I would catch back up as he got more cautious while going over the Rocks. When we got past the Moon Rocks he was history! Riding behind his bright blue machine was like following Kmarts flashing Blue light down the trail!!!

It was great to hear all the positive comments from everyone after the race. The Sandstormers did everything possible to please the "majority". Which hopefully means a continuation of the Loose Moose on the schedule every year as this is my favorite race! Having a course that was condusive to minimizing DNF's will create a more positive perspective as everyone goes home from the race!

I know that I am in the "B rider" minority but I would like to have seen a 5 mile section of "The Mountain" in the course. I look forward to a little Moon Rock and little Mountain every year. But I really understand the need to please "The Mass".

Super fun and got to bring home 3 place hardware back to Ohio while my buddie took home 1st in Bvet.

Great job Magoo,NZambon and all Sandstomers!

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
I know I am chiming in a bit late on this - the family and I stayed in the UP for two weeks after the Moose - work for me, vacation time for the wife and kids.

I had a blast with the Moose - I would say one of my favorite events! As Bill said, great mix of trail..and I hate to say it as well, I could of done with a few more miles actually! My kids had a great time at the Mini Moose as well. Great job Sandstormers!

Now I have to go unload the camper. We just got back last night. Not much riding for us while we were up there. Did plenty of hiking, mountain biking, and beer drinking in the Porkies though. Mitch and I did ride Brevort Saturday.

Thanks again to the Sandstormers!

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
I had a great time too. I'm a 44 year old "C" rider and have two small kids so I don't have time to ride that much. The 40 ground miles and the type of trail was very challenging to me both to ride at speed and to over come the obstacles the course designers made us go over and through. The large resets allowed me to catch my breath and keep going and finish the event which made me happy.

I think way the course was designed with three "different" loops allowing for the larger resets for the B and C riders was an ideal way to keep the majority of the riders fresh and allowing them to finish and compete for a trophy.

For me, I know now that if I want to compete for a trophy next year I have to ride more and to get into better shape. If I would not have finished the "C" loop I would have been depressed and maybe helped me decide against riding in more enduros.

I want to thank all the Sandstormers who volunteered to put on such a great event!

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
This was the coolest enduro yet! :cool:
Now I just want some pictures. What's going on with those pictures that the professional was taking? Wasn't there supposed to be a link on upsandstormers.com?

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
duckboy said:
This was the coolest enduro yet! :cool:
Now I just want some pictures. What's going on with those pictures that the professional was taking? Wasn't there supposed to be a link on upsandstormers.com?

Ok waterfowlchild, these may not be from the
"professional", but they are ones my darling wife happened to get of you.

Attachments

• duckboy 1.jpg
    duckboy 1.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 180
  • duckboy 2.jpg
    duckboy 2.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 182

bucky63

Apr 11, 2007
Tom Buchkoe emailed me earlier this week and said he is going to try and get the proofs in the mail this week.

I think a lot of his pictures will be of guys going over the drop off.

duckboy

Jan 9, 2005
Me three, and they're pretty nice. Of the six shots from Saturday and Sunday I'll probably get at least four.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
#1 The boy and I
#2 Havin' a blast
#3 Skeery Dropoff

Attachments

• Marquette 002.jpg
    Marquette 002.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 144
  • Marquette 001.jpg
    Marquette 001.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 138
  • Marquette.jpg
    Marquette.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 144

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
What the heck are those things on your shoulders. something from Marshes shop eh! or Maybe fledy can cook em or a flat chested woman might even buy em.

Top Bottom