Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
For more info: *Click Here*

Well, I'm sure everyone is wondering what we're up to for this year. I can tell you that we have a very special event planned. Trail Boss Nick has been cracking the whip, and Trail Slaves Barkbuster67, Magoo, Jack, Kenny, Famous Paul, and many other Sandstormers have been hacking and slashing at the wild UP woods to make trail for this years event. Much of the "beloved" Plains have been decimated by logging, so you flatlanders won't have as much of the sand-whoops (that remind you of home) as we've run in the past. So, I'd guess you might know where we've picked up the additional miles (eh, Mark Becker?). We also have a completely new A Section, so the A Riders won't be disappointed (I think last years A Loop might not have been quite what they wanted -- maybe this years A Loop will suit them better...).
Regarding the Loose Moose National
- Please remember that we are very strict on Sound Testing (96 Db) and you must have a Spark Arrestor. No plate, lights, etc are required. That means you don't need them to ride our event!
- The Big News is that we will be running this years event using the restart format -- NO timekeeping will be required (although you'll need to know when to be at the Restarts...).
- You can save some $$ by preregistering (see our WEBSITE ).
Regarding the Mini-Moose:
- We run this event to be an educational, fun event to learn about the Sprt of Enduro. It is designed for Kids and Families to ride and learn together.
- You do not need to be an AMA member to participate in this event.
- Special Guest: We received confirmation today that Mike Lafferty has agreed to be the Start Control checker for the Mini-Moose event. We're really excited to have Mike helping us with this event! To have a superstar like Mike Lafferty be a part of this event is a great honor. We hope the participants will appreciate his efforts to promote the sport of enduro, as well!

Please support the sponsors that support us! We have them listed on our WEBSITE

We look forward to seeing you July 16 and 17!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My favorite-ist enduro that I've never finished! :bang:

Of course we'll be there for both events...

Question #1: Why the restart format? Don't get me wrong.... I don't mind not spending $425 on a Checkmate to tell me how much more time I have before houring out.

Question #2: Will Lafferty be providing a clinic on how to do wheelie starts?

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
I have never been so excited to experience the pain I will be receiving at this race! I am very happy that there will be a restart format but also very curious as to why the change to the restart format!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Smit-Dog said:
My favorite-ist enduro that I've never finished! :bang:

Of course we'll be there for both events...

Question #1: Why the restart format? Don't get me wrong.... I don't mind not spending $425 on a Checkmate to tell me how much more time I have before houring out.

Question #2: Will Lafferty be providing a clinic on how to do wheelie starts?

I am in the SmitDog camp on this one to! I was close to making it a couple years ago...but didnt. Maybe this year.?

I like the sounds of restart format to - just make them resets LOOOOONG!

Have Lafferty do the wheelie clinic, SmitDog can do the stoppie clinic! :nener:

Mark and I will do the Mini Moose on Saturday as well. No change in format on that Magoo? You seemed to be considering some changes when we spoke at the two day event a couple weekends ago.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
I am really excited about this one too. Being that it will be a first for me. So, in all honesty, can you experienced guys (be it that you finished the Loose Moose in that past or not) give me some specific things to be aware of or helpful hints. For starters what exactly is the re-start issue all about? From what I have gathered it is a good idea to request a starting position farther back when a newbie. Bring extra duct tape. Is it helpful to camp on the site? Is it fairly easy to try and stick with another rider thoughout the event? Reason being, my brother will be there too. Anyhow, looking forward to it. See you all there.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Before the race,
have someone beat you all over with a big stick and pelt you with rocks to simulate the beating your body will take and you will do just fine!
OH and smile because you will be having fun.
Don

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Carry a SAT phone, GPS, food, bear repellant, and a backpack with enough necessities to survive 2-3 days in the wilderness alone. Bring someone to drive you back home too.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Don,
Stop giving away all of the training secrets.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Don Marsh said:
Before the race,
have someone beat you all over with a big stick and pelt you with rocks to simulate the beating your body will take and you will do just fine!
OH and smile because you will be having fun.
Don

:rotfl: :rotfl: Boy you got that right!

CR - I do find camping there best - plus it is fun! And you will find MANY people willing to give you great advice like Don did!

Unless you are scary fast, restart means less worries about time keeping. Much easier for a first enduro. For me, timekeeping only seems to matter coming out of a reset or something where they are playing tricky timekeeping games with you! The rest of the time i only worry about how far behind I am! For your first one - dont worry about any of it! Just learn.

If you and your brother are of like riding pace - you should be able to stick together - assuming you both get on the same minute (pre-register and request the same row options). For me - I only see the guys on my minute at the start, at gas stops, at resets or at the end! The rest of the time they are way ahead of me!

So go get that big stick, the rocks, some duct tape, lots of ibuprofen and have a blast!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Cr - Was your brothers bike the KX at my house? If so, make sure he repacks the silencer - he might have trouble with the 96 DB otherwise.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
KTM Mike, that was the KX that was at your place. We pretty much can ride the same pace. So it sounds like starting minute is the key to riding together. Do you ride the long or short course? I guess we should get our hands on a decibel meter??

OK so if I have this right: for the next couple of weeks I need to practice running into trees, falling in the rocks while carrying a 50 pound back pack full of supplies, fighting off black bear and fixing plastic with duct tape and smiling while doing it! No problem, can't wait. Hope I aint forgetting nothing!

Thanks for letting me in on all the secrets.

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
I am really excited about this one too. Being that it will be a first for me.

OK so if I have this right: for the next couple of weeks I need to practice running into trees, falling in the rocks while carrying a 50 pound back pack full of supplies, fighting off black bear and fixing plastic with duct tape and smiling while doing it! No problem, can't wait. Hope I aint forgetting nothing!

Liar!! he has competed in enduros!!!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
CR250R@WINTERS said:
KTM Mike, that was the KX that was at your place. We pretty much can ride the same pace. So it sounds like starting minute is the key to riding together. Do you ride the long or short course? I guess we should get our hands on a decibel meter??

Thanks for letting me in on all the secrets.

Yep get the same minute. Short course of course! I aint as dumb as I look :coocoo: the short version sure dont feel to short to me!

Db meter - good luck finding one! My comment was based on my seat of the pants impression when everyone was buzzin the grass track. Keep in mind, all of the other bikes there (other than the YZ) were woods bikes with woods silencers - so it did stand out more. If it is an aftermarket silencer (or OEM even) do some research on DRN etc. and find out what the typical Db rating is on it - if it comes in at or below 96 - cool - but to be safe a fresh repack.

Your training plan is right on the money. The hitting trees and falling on rocks sounds like my typical ride.

Now you realize you have not heard ALL the secrets dont you? If we did that Nick and Magoo would have a hit man after us!

And what is this that Trevor seems to know that you aint sharing anyhow?

Tom Dixon

Farmer Tom = Face Planter
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 15, 2001
WOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
Can't wait for da Loose Moose!!!!

The best part is that I have to be in East Lansing at 10:00 Monday morning for 2 days of orientation!!!

barkbuster67

Nov 6, 2002
You all better follow Smit-Dogs survival info, especially the part about the bear repellent. I've had several sightings in the past couple weeks while cutting trail for you fortunate ones and I think I have managed to piss them off by throwing my helmet and yelling obsenities similar to that of a rider not being successful on a hill climb. :p Smit-Dog, you should be ok, they already know what you look like when wondering around.
I can't mention anything about the trail, Trail Boss Nick gave me strict orders, but the 50lb bag of parts sounds about right

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Trevor Medley said:
Liar!! he has competed in enduros!!!

Hmmmm......Trevor not sure what you mean by this :think: . This is definitely my first enduro. Must be you know me from another life????

woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
Just kidding with ya CR :rotfl:

I am new to Enduros myself and a novice (slow) Sr. C rider. I've requested row 14, 28, 34 in that order; you and your brother are welcome to join up on my minute and I will share what little knowledge/expierience I have.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
CR250R@WINTERS said:
... give me some specific things to be aware of or helpful hints.
If a guy riding a Gas Gas drops a C-note on the ground in front of you, DO NOT bend over to get it. Back up and slowly walk away, and do not make eye contact.

CR250R@WINTERS

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2004
Trevor,
I pretty much figured you were just kidding, but then I thought maybe you are confusing me with someone else. :cool:

Thanks for the offer, might just take you up on it. We will be riding a C-class also.

And Smit-Dog..........please keep the helpful hints coming, I can't get enough.........

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
CR250R@WINTERS said:
We will be riding a C-class also..........

Man there goes my shot at a Trophy! to many old guys out there these days.... How about you and Trevor go for B class... yeah thats what you should do - sure...thats it...

KX250MiRider

May 26, 2004
Be Aware...

You all better follow Smit-Dogs survival info, especially the part about the bear repellent. I've had several sightings in the past couple weeks while cutting trail for you fortunate ones and I think I have managed to piss them off by throwing my helmet and yelling obsenities similar to that of a rider not being successful on a hill climb.

This Picture was taken along the trail where Barkbuster67 was cutting by a local hiker.......

Attachments

• bear3.gif
    bear3.gif
    70 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I'll be there Friday night or Saturday morning. We always help out at a check for the Mini Moose. Anyone who gets there by noon and wants to see the "other side" of a check, let me know.

Team PTP applications were sent in earlier this week with row selections of 34 (with Leroy), 33 or 31 (Rich Lafferty).

TeamFrog

May 21, 2004
I'm getting stoked!

Well, after installing a fresh pipe and silencer, I should be ready to feel the pain on this one. I too am happy about the restart format...it may give me a better shot at actually finishing the race. I'm dragging a buddy up with me this time who is going to attempt to survive this thing (his first race) on his freshly tuned XR600...my prayers are with him.

As for the bear repellant, I figure I'll just pack out my smashed pipe from Wolverine/Harrison to beat the bears back with.

KTM Mike...I'm hoping to give you a little more competition this time around...if I can just keep it on two wheels.

See you all there!
Jeff

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Silly man!
New pipe before= buy new pipe after

Top Bottom