Loose spokes, can't tighten them, HELP

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
My rear rim has some pretty loose spokes and I can't get them to tighten at all! When I crank on the nipples (man, am I setting myself up for wisecracks) the spokes twist and there is little to no thread movement.

Any suggestions on getting them to turn? I've tried WD40. I almost put some heat to them before realizing it would warp everything.

Toothmech

Oct 21, 2004
Gather the following items-
1) PB Blaster or other penetrating oil (WD-40 is alright, but doesn't seem to penetrate that well).

2) Propane or MAPP gas torch

3) Vise Grips (mid size works best)

4) Spoke Wrench or Adjustable Wrench (spoke wrench is better, but the latter will work)

Apply PB Blaster to all the siezed nipples, let it soak for a night or so, then try to hold onto the spoke with the vise grips and try to loosen the nipple. If this doesn't work, you might want to remove the tire and tube, and then heat up the nipples w/ the torch, and then break them loose w/ the wrench and "grips". The reason I say to remove the tire and tube is because the nipple can heat up and pop the tube possibly. Good luck. I dealt with this situation on almost all the spokes on my rear wheel- it was no fun, but a little sweat and blood (knuckles :bang: ) and they all gave up.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I had the same problem. I used lots of liquid wrench and two vise grips. It was a real pain. Notice that the ones that have even a little tension are a lot easier to get tightened than the ones that don't. It taught me to keep an eye on them and adjust them often. Of course, it was a new (used) bike and apparently the other guy hadn't checked them in awhile.

Rob

B

biglou

Good advice. Penetrating oil and some heat also if necessary. If you get them nice and free, and even if you don't, a drop of oil now and again is a good thing.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
I had the same thing. A couple of tips. Remove the tire and tube. Use some high quality stuff, like Liquid Wrench and drip it down into the nipple for 3 or four days.
Then a propane torch and a proper spoke wrench. Another good tip is to buy a few spare spokes before you start the job. Some will twist and lose strength or break altogether.

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I have never used heat , only penetrating oil.
Spray the nipples , and spin the wheel a few times , to make sure the oil gets in as far as it can go , and to force the oil in for a bit longer time. When I have done this , they have always been ok after a couple of days....Carefull , the end of the spokes break quite easy if you use too much force

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Oh yeah - mine were so bad I was using the two vise grips to hold the spoke and turning the nipple with a spoke wrench :(

It sucked but I got em tightened . . .

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Well, I tried, and lost the battle. I tried to tighten two of them with the two vise grip method, and broke two spokes. SH!+

So, I guess this means I need to have the tire taken off, and just buy a whole new set of spokes and nipples. I figured it'd be better to just replace them all since they are all stuck. And I will just spray them with lube regulary.

Do you guys know if I can buy an Excel rim, spokes, and nipples to lace up to my factury hub?

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
after 5 siezed on my cr, it was cheaper to buy an aftermarket spoke set from buchannon. honda wanted 5.50 per spoke and nipple. buchannon uses bigger nipples and heavier spokes so i had to ream the hub and rim but they are much nicer than stock (stainless steel). beware though, it took me almost 5 hours to relace the wheel and get it true. if you attempt to build a wheel from scratch as in buy an excel rim and install your hub, be sure to know what you are getting into. do a search on wheel trueing/spoke relacing on this site to get started. i wouldnt even think of starting this job without a spoke wrench. they arent expensive but they do a much better job than an adjustable wrench. lots of people gladly pay the 50-75dollars to have the spoke set installed. be sure to apply waterproof grease to the threads and keep the power washer away from the nipples. soap is nice and corrosive if left on metal.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I just bought a set of Excel spokes and nipples. It'll be a few days until the shop gets them.

I think I can handle relacing it. I've done it on a bicycle before, so the methods are the same. I'll probably have the shop true it up though and put the tire back on. Damn this stuff is expensive. I swear it's more than maintaining a boat!

Top Bottom