CR307

Apr 12, 2001
Man what a great time I had at Loretta's this past weekend with VSTA. It couldnt have been any better. This was my first trip of many to here. I appreciate everybody who helped with this. I just become a member of VSTA and look forward to seeing many others on the trails.

troy2

Oct 23, 1999
Amen to that. That was the best rde I ever had. Got to meet DrBillz and a bunch of other great people. The trails could not be beat. 18 mile loop that turned into a 23 miler when you did the advanced sections. I left tired but it was great.
Okie you really should consider this place for a Dirtweek.

Steve

tomthumb

Apr 12, 2000
I am glad you guys had a good time. Did you get a chance to speak to Scott Summers? Hope to see you at more of the VSTA rides.

tomthumb
VSTA – Board Member and LL Ride Master
MTDR – President
OHV 4 Tennessee President

crdude97

Jun 21, 2000
The fun ride was awesome trails,but in all fareness it seemed like another money maker.15$for membership to vsta and 25 to ride! Me and 6 or 8 friends drove 3 1/2 hours and were a little shocked at paying a member fee to ride there. I guess someone has to whine,but we are used to riding at St. Joe state park in missouri for 2$ each(1500 acres) or little egypt in southern illinois 10$ per day! Riding is every bit as good with many more hillclimbs and track areas. It was nice to see the motorcross track at LL,but would have been much better to get to ride it. I did enjoy the advanced trail and look forward to going again, but I won't if I have to pay the 15$ donation to vsta.
Just my 2 cents...

KevinB4stk

Jul 5, 2000
I agree with the 1st 3 post's but NOT the 4th one.
If you didn't know the cost's before you got there it's your own fault.

I had a great time, I had raced there in the GNCC's several times and always wanted to go and take some friend's to trail ride, this event gave me the chance to do this.

Thank's VSTA:)

CR307

Apr 12, 2001
I agree Kevin. I just joined VSTA and didnt mind paying at all. Specially when they were doing allot just for everyone to come and ride there. I'm sure they had some problems setting up some of those trails.
So once again, THANKS VSTA!:cool:

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
Troy, I have to apologize to you. My mind was a thousand places over the weekend. I don't think I was very hospitable to you and for that I sincerely apologize. Actually I thought you and the guy that was looking at the KTM for sale were together and when you walked off I felt bad. Sorry.
Maybe one year when I don't do quite so much I'll be in a better frame of mind.
Right now you couldn't pay me to do the trails again......but we'll see about next year. I think I can layout the trails a lot faster now and maybe get them done in 3weeks instead of 6 !!:scream: :scream: :scream:

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
crdude, you are right, it IS a fund-raiser. it raises $ for vsta to try to get us all (you too, if you want to make the drive) more places to ride.

bill, tom, & others: thanks for all your hard work. the trails were awesome, the organization was great (that's alot of people X events to deal with). i didn't hear 1 complaint other than 1 guy who bitched about loretta charging him $20 to camp (oh please). special thanks also to whoever did the pre-ride rain dance.

my buddies & i have already ordered parts to replace the 1s we smashed there, & the doctors say we should recover fully from body-surfing in all those rocks. what an awesome ride.

troy2

Oct 23, 1999
Bill,
No apology needed. I thought everyone was great. The guy that was looking at the KTM was with me. I just walked off hoping he would come on so we could ride another loop.
Really enjoyed it and if work permits I will be at the next one, hopefully in the spring!
I didn't mind paying the money. It was a bargain.

Steve

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Hold on a minute!

crdude,

If you don't want to pay "Membership" dues to be a "Member" of a trail riding association, then don't join. You obviously have no idea how far that $15 goes toward keeping your butt on a bike with a place to ride it! A "moneymaker"???? You think Bill and Jack and all the others are driving around in new Navigators because of our $15 dues, you need to rethink. I don't know any of the details, but you think Loretta just gives the ranch to VSTA for the weekend for free? I don't.

I'm gonna stop preaching now, I could go on for a while though.

Dr.billZ

May 15, 2000
I have a new F-350 Crew Cab diesel :eek:
I didn't pay to ride either :). But I estimated it cost me $500.00 in travel expenses to put the trails together. No, I won't be reimbursed by VSTA. This is my way of paying back for the YEARS I rode on someone elses time.....mainly the late Dave Coombs and his rides( Blackwater 100, Big Bear 100, Many GNCC's, Appallacia Lake MX, High Point, Loretta Lynn Dual Sports and on and on. $500 in expenses is a cheap price to pay for the years I have enjoyed riding. Thanks Dave for all your hard work.
Back to the premise...... Is the ride a fund raiser for VSTA? Of course it is. That is whole idea behind the ride. We get a bunch of members and a little money and seek more riding possibilities for our members. In fact we are, thru OHV4TN, seeking a State-wide OHV program for everyone to enjoy.....and yes it is your money doing that. We appreciate the help and hope you will have many 1st Class trails to ride in the near future. This is our way of fighting Land Closure and.................. so far so good.

Last edited:

SlowJack

Jul 27, 2000
Sorry to be so slow in keeping up with DRN -- been absolutely slammed with work since the LL Ride.

Yes, it truly WAS the best one we've ever had. More riders than ever before, exhibitors and vendors for the first time, a terrific banquet meal and cool door prizes, and the best trails ever. I suppose I've ridden some 80 days at LL's in the last 4 years doing this ride, and I have NEVER seen the trails so perfect.

Didn't Tom and Bill do a superb job on trail layout? Good thing I didn't do the layout this year... it was better than I ever did before. The organization was better than ever because of Tom Thumb who will take over next year as Ride Boss and will undoubtedly take it up another notch from where I've brought it in the past four years. All told, there were about 20-25 dedicated "key-man" volunteers who made it all happen just right, people you wouldn't notice, but they just did whatever they were asked to do.

When we left on Sunday night, I had no idea that we had 800+ riders... my quick counts from the registration sheets indicated about 650, but as I looked out over the Ranch, it sure looked like more than 650. Turns out, it was a lot more than 650.

As for me personally, I got to ride THREE loops over the weekend, which is new world record. I actually had fun, too, and I'm looking forward to even more fun next year when I'm no longer the Ride Boss and can be an ordinary volunteer worker under the leadership of Tom and Bill. {Personal to BillZ - what you're feeling is normal, I've gone through it every year, but the exhaustion eventually wears off and you'll get better at the job, too, so it's always hardest the first time. You did a great job in your "freshman" year}

CRdude97 -- yes, this is VSTA's primary fundraiser for the entire year, for which I make no apologies. This ride is also for VSTA members only. If it weren't for the funds we raise, that VSTA membership would have cost you more like $40 or $50, plus the rider fee. We pay $25, plus $5 or $10 gate fee for a 2-hour ride at a hare scramble, and you're concerned about $25 for three DAYS of riding? I'm afraid I don't see the logic, other than to say that you are EXTREMELY fortunate to have St. Joe, and should figure that it won't last much longer the way it is. In the next few years, we will all be paying $100 to $500 per year for riding permits... that's just the reality of the world today. You wouldn't believe how many thousands of dollars it costs to put on the LL ride, not including (as BillZ pointed out) the hundreds of dollars that many of us "donate" in actiual out-of-pocket expense, not to mention lost work time. Myself, I have lost a minimum of about 2-3 weeks of work time each year for the last four years to put on the LL Ride, and I'm only one person of many. Any of us who can afford a bike can afford $40 for three days of riding and a year of VSTA membership. And, btw, yes you will have to renew your VSTA membership in order to ride again next year... remember, this is a ride for VSTA members only, and we gladly accommodated you by providing the opportunity to join VSTA conveniently on-site at registration. (The reason is simple-- insurance, of course.) In addition, as you read your VSTA Newsletter and get the ride flyers for the 8 or 9 rides that we will have in 2002, you will soon see that your vision is much too limited. As a VSTA member, you will be invited to a wide variety of organized rides that will knock your socks off. All for a measley $15.

As for the rider fee, it hasn't changed in four years, still $25, and a huge chunk of that goes to the LL Ranch for having us. The only reason that it hasn't increased is because we take care of the place, don't trash it or tear things up, work hundreds of hours to organize the ride, and then remediate the trails when it's over. We have developed a great relationship with them, and they are happy to have us back each year. That didn't come easy. I've spent hundreds of hours and many personal trips to the Ranch to make this happen, but I consider it to be a worthwhile investment when nearly 2,000 riders over four years enjoy this particular and unique weekend like no other. And yes, I fully expect to see you at the 2002 LL Ride, if not before. You don't get off that easy, brother! We've got way too much riding to do over the next 12 months!

Thanks to everyone. I'm so glad you enjoyed our little riding party.

Slow Jack
LL Ride Boss emeritus

ScottZX7RR

Sep 11, 1999
Glad to have meet ya your there Jack,

By the way I think that it is safe to say that if you need any help next year that Curtis and I will offer the services. But we have first dibbs on riding with you. LOL

Dlenigan

Oct 23, 2013
Stumbled on this forum. I to was at Loretta's. I loved it. Hanging with Thad Mason and crew from Bellvue Cycle in Nashville. A year ago my wife and I eloped and headed straight to Loretta's for fun. Every year we go back. What is this club or dues everyone is talking about? VSTA? I live in Nashville and am ALL about a club, I'm all about paying $ to have places to ride, meet friends, and expand the culture. How do I join? Who do I pay? When are we riding again and where? I'm about helping and volunteering. Someone point me in the right direction please. Thanks agin to all who put effort in to make my weekend awesome

Dlenigan

Oct 23, 2013
I'm in!

ScottZX7RR said:
Glad to have meet ya your there Jack,

By the way I think that it is safe to say that if you need any help next year that Curtis and I will offer the services. But we have first dibbs on riding with you. LOL

Top Bottom