scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
Recently a close riding buddy died from an accident on a practice track. He went off a small jump with too much throttle, the bike got away from him and he landed on his chest. He suffered massive internal injuries and was on life support a couple hours later. Needless to say it is difficult and I'm having a hard time. I accepted the possibility of injury, but never considered that one of us could die. We are all C or D class riders, and my friend that died was the slowest of the group. The jump was not dangerous or beyond his skill level, he'd jumped it a hundred times before. I really wanted to hear about any others that may have had a similar situation or any advice. I haven't ridden since the accident and am not sure if I will. I love this sport but am really confused. Thanks

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I'm very very sorry to hear about your friend. I agree with you, as much as I love motocross... there are some serious risks involved. Was your friend wearing a chest protector? I always try to invest in the most protective gear just in case.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sorry to hear about your buddy! It is a sad loss and something that just happens from time to time. It maybe hard to get back on the bike but people can die anytime and from anything. You shouldnt let this effect your riding. Your buddy would tell you the same as i believe even he loved doing it or he wouldnt of been out there with you having fun.

crash_42

Jul 2, 2003
Well it is a real shame and the cuts are deep when it is a close friend... I have not had this happen on dirtbikes but I am a downhill skier and this kind of thing happens at least once a year on the mountains (sorry I do not mean to say I lose a friend every year but to say that expert skiers lose thier lives)

My suggestion would be that this was a sport that you and your friend enjoyed together and I assume that he liked the sport as much as you yourself. What you could do is to continue to ride not to be reminded of your loss but of the good times and that it is something that you will allways be able to share with your friend as he will allways be there with you in mind and heart.....

Good bless him
and our hearts go out to everyone who knew and loved him.
Gregg B

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
unfortunately life is full of tragedies we can never predict :( My prayers go out to his family and yourself. Don't put guilt on yourself because he was your riding bud, accidents happen and sometimes we can't understand the how or why. I understand your hesitation to ride, but I'm sure when you decide to ride again you will think about all the great times you had riding with him. Treasure those times.
And remember, we are here for you. Anytime you want to talk about it don't hesitate to PM somebody & ask for their phone #. We are a brotherhood.

mxjosh

Jul 16, 2003
If you go to Thumpertalk.com and click on Garrett Berg's Memorial forum, you will read about a very talented young man age 17 that was taken away from his friends and family by a freak accident at his favorite mx track.

Every year the Texas dirtbike riders have setup up a GMB Memorial race and the money goes towards the Garrett Berg Scholorship fund which is used for Make a Dirtbike Wish or Texas College Scholorship fund.

Also a couple of years ago, a member her on DRN who went by Cobrakid was seriously injured by a freak mx accident while practicing for an upcoming race and he suffered head trama injuries. He was fortunate to recover and the gang here at DRN helped get Travis Pastrana to come visit him at the hospital. I saw Chris a couple of months ago at a m/c shop and he looked good. He still has some permanate disabilites, but at least he's alive.
I am fortunate to have the person that helped Chris race (Rick McDowell/KDX220rm), be helping me with my racing.

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Sorry to hear about your friend. Getting back on your bike will be tough, but hopefully you'll be able to at some point. I got into a head-on accident on my dirtbike about 3 years ago and I wasn't sure I ever wanted to ride again. I quickly realized that I just couldn't stay off my bike for too long. I hope you're able to get back on the bike again.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Scott, sorry to hear about your friend. I know how you feel because I too lost a riding (and flying) buddy this year.

Tim was always the life of the party. Hell, he was the party. Always funny with a cutting wit. A great guy to hang with. He loved flying, street riding (one of the best I’ve seen) and dirt bikes. A life long MX racer he continued to race at the age of 44. This summer he was at a race in upstate NY. He finished the first moto and returned to the pit area. He didn’t feel quite right and couldn’t seem to catch his breath. He thought it might be the heat. He got up for the second moto but never made it to the gate. He suffered a massive heart attack (he appeared to be in good physical condition) and died instantaneously.

It just sucks. Up until September 11, 2001 I had never lost a friend. Now, two years later, I have lost too many. It really makes you appreciate all of the people in your life.

I always take my lost riding friends with me when I ride. It feels good to have their memories with me and I’m sure they like it too. Your friend would want you to ride and remember him as well.

Time heals Scott.

Last edited:

va_yzrider

Apr 28, 2003
Scott, have we ever met? My name is Dave Covington and I usually ride at Painter's track. That is where I first met Darryl. This has certainly been a shock to us all. I really feel for his family and pray that it doesn't happen again. Fortunately I have been able to ride and keep it off my mind. Take your time and really evaluate the situation and the right answer will come to you, whether it is worth the risk or not. I feel that, as mentioned above, accidents can happen at any time under any circumstance.

Take care bud!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
My best wishes to you and your recovery. I'm sure his family is decimated. Wow--I don't even want to think about something like that happening to my children.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Scott, my husband lost 9 friends in 18 months when he was younger due to road bike accidents and car accidents. He still rides road, he still drives. He decided after everything that life is just too short, so make the most of the time you have.

I lost a few friends due to road bike accidents when I was younger, too. One was the most difficult time I've ever had. Erin died on the way to work, he didn't see a truck had stopped & went straight under it - closed casket due to decapitation. Another was a friend who'd asked my then b/f & I to go with him on a ride, but we couldn't make it. He overtook another in the group, clipped the back wheel & landed on his neck. An off-duty ambulance officer was in a car behind them & saw the whole thing - there was nothing to be done for Brett. Another friend (well, of my sister) broke down so phoned her husband to fix the car. Steve came out on his bike & after they both got going, a drunk driver (this is 7am, Kathryn on her way to work), clipped Steve's bike & he also landed on his neck - the tragic thing about that was Kathryn was behind him & saw it all & could do nothing.

I've not lost a friend due to riding off road, but I've lost good friends and it's hard.

One story that may or may not help. A top New Zealand rally driver (you may have heard of him - Possum Bourne) was at a rally a while back & they had an accident & his navigator died. He then had to stop & think about it. He continued on driving because he didn't want his navigator to have died in vain. Possum died earlier this year & our country went into mourning, but he died doing what he loved and he gave us brilliant memories.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your and Dave's friend and it is now your decision what to do. One word of advice though - don't sell everything yet if you decide not to continue, once the painful mourning period passes, you may change your mind.

Condolences to all of your group & Darryl's family, it's never a good thing to hear :(

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I'm sorry to hear about all of those.

To ride or not to ride is a personal decision that you should be honest with yourself when making.

I didn't know him, but a fellow rider died while I was there last year. My wife, Lori, was one of the people helping try to revive him. Different people take it different ways. One of my friends pretty much quit riding after that. I made it a point to go back out and ride some more laps after the helicopter left.

Many people asked me if I was going to rethink my riding after that. My answer to this, and similar questions, has always been that every one of us should be aware of the dangers and the possibilities before we get on a bike, in a car, on a horse, etc. The fact that the worst did happen to someone nearby does not change my knowledge nor assessment of the risks. I fully understand the possible outcome every time I get on a bike, drive a car, or cross the street.

My heart does go out to all of you that have lost someone close.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Sorry about you friend. I could only imagine the big empty feeling right now. Take your time and get on a bike when it feels right to you, when your head is right with it. Dont force it. My condolences to the family.

mr73

Nov 30, 2002
I am very sorry to hear about your friend. I sold my chest protector last January because it was bothering me and was uncomfortable. I had been thinking about purchasing one again in the past few weeks and now I read this post. I don't know if it would of helped your buddy any by having a chest protector but I am definitly going to buy one, like tomorrow! I know how it feels to lose a good friend especially one that you hang out with more than others and I feel your pain. I hope you cheer up and ride your bike(s) again, mabe not now but when ever you feel comfortable. This might sound corny and do not take this in offense but mabe you posting this inccident will save others lives and make sure chest protectors are worn at all times. I feel like a dumbass for going out riding the times i did without one. Hope you feel better and may your friend rest in peace and may God bless him.

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
This is truly very sad :( Time does heal, but that is probably not what you want to hear right now. Try to think of the great memories that you and your friend shared. They will always be with you to revisit.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Scott, I think I know what you're going though; This confussion will pass in time and you will be riding again, you should stay close to your friends and talk about it, chances are they may be going though the same thing.

I made the mistake of alienating those around me and I lost more than two good friends, it took me 3 years to get back on a bike and another 5 years with the support of my girl friend/ now wife to kick the alcohol.

Here it is almost 30 yrs later and every once in awhile something like this pops up and flash back to that time and remember the fun we had just like it was yesterday and all the other baggages was just a life lesson I had to go though.

Anyhow, enough of that, just stay close with your friends,discuss it ,talk about him, don't push the issue of riding, If you truly love the game you will continue to play with a whole new and brighter outlook

My prayers go out to you and your friends and godspeed to your lost friend

scott8671

Jun 13, 2001
thanks again for all the replies and encouragement. I didn't expect so many posts. it's been a couple weeks since the accident and I was feeling a little down yesterday. I talked to o few friends last night, and I think I will ride again just not sure when I'll be ready

Dave- I don't think we have formally met, but I think I've seen you out at Painter's. You may have seen my on a KTM #609 or Husqvarna #505

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
scott

im with the high lord gomer on this one. these things called motorcycles are dangerous. for many of us, motorcycles define who we are. everytime i get on a dirtbike or streetbike i tell my self that i may not come home in the same shape i left or may not ever come home again. i know its dark sounding but it is what it is. i measure the risk every time i ride. some days i feel risky and other days not so risky. the older i get the more my decisions are affected by those who count on me. hell, my garage is full of the two wheelers. my loved ones understand my passion and at this point my passion is worth the risk. someday it may not be and ill get off and be done with it. when/if you ride again you will have a better understanding of the risk. in return though, you will have a greater appreciation for the ride. i really feel bad for those in this sport who dont really fully understand the risk. they say motorcyclist are experts in denial because if we werent there would be no motorcyclist.

take a bit of time to sort things out. make sure its what you really want to be doing. either way ride/no ride, there is no wrong answer. good luck and God bless all those involved.

Top Bottom