Lost gears on 00' KTM 200 EXC, Is it fixed?

KawiRider

Sep 23, 2000
I am buying a bike (2000 KTM 200 EXC), and the seller said the bike was repaired (The 5th and 6th gear had disappeared), and he wasn't sure exactly what the shop worker had done to fix this. Is this a common problem on the KTM 200 EXC's? Has anyone experianced any lose on gears? If so, has it been repaired, and what is the outcome? Once it is repaired, how long will it last? I have no clue as the present owner doesn't know exactly what was done to the repair, and says he had ridden the bike a few times after this and the bike ran fine. Any replies are greatly appreciated.

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
If the seller is dealing straight with you he should be willing and able to provide a receipt for the work done...ask for it! It should show at a minimum what parts were replaced. If for some reason the seller cant get you a receipt (I certainly dont have every receipt for absolutely everything done on my bikes over the years) - find out what shop did the work...call or go there and talk to them see what you find out. I cant imagine (but really have no basis for speculating here) that this is a common problem - i would think the mechanic that did the work would remember it. If it was indeed repaired properly - I dont see why it would not be as good as new - question is - Was it repaired properly???

yota

Oct 9, 2001
I had this happen on my old 200 when I missed a shift and a small pc of steel chipped off one of the dogs on a gear and lodged in the alum shift drum. The roller on the shift fork could not get past the pc of metal. It was easily fixed and never happened again. The symptoms were the same, 5th and 6th just dissapeared. No parts were required other than gaskets.

Top Bottom