dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
help i was putting my engine back together and i couldnt find the clips. what should i do. maybe the kit didn't come with them for some reason? i need them asap

Last edited:

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
The only possible answer to your dilema is hari kari. There is no other way out of this....your options are limited to one: suicide.

:p

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
Get some high grade derlin its like plastice and make some round plugs ...oh wait there is a recess under the crown, i think that would only work if the hole for the piston pin came out with the full diameter of the piston.... race cars use this tech

order some, you can get them seperately from parts unlimited.

it is not recomended to reuse your old circlips, but hey your putting a new piston in a wore out, scratched and honed (against several of ours recomendations) cylinder.

Dave89b where are you in this great country?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You are grounded, go to your room, and order a few cir clips over the net. STAT! And they BETTER not be in the engine, or you will get no cookies and milk. Vintage Bob

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Super glue is great for everything! Or just pack jbweld in around either side of the piston pin! Circlips? Who needs 'em?? I've never bothered installing them. The cylinder walls will prevent the piston pin from coming out too far in either direction anyway.

In all seriousness, you'll HAVE to order the clips, or find the ones you misplaced. No way around it.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
julien_d said:
Super glue is great for everything! Or just pack jbweld in around either side of the piston pin! Circlips? Who needs 'em?? I've never bothered installing them. The cylinder walls will prevent the piston pin from coming out too far in either direction anyway.

In all seriousness, you'll HAVE to order the clips, or find the ones you misplaced. No way around it.

or you could just take a hammer and a punch then knock the circlip grooves to mushroom them over the pin :rotfl:

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Great idea! I think I'll try that next time. I'm sick of messing around with those pesky dang circlips anyway. I bet I spent 20 minutes trying to get my buddies new piston in his KTM the other day. 1 minute for the first clip, 19 for the second one. Grrrrr.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Have any of you ever had experience with wiseco's old ribbon clips to hold the pin in place? Try reusing them, I dare you! Easy to thread in, getting out, peel them. 19 minutes on a ktm Julien, never work on a pw50. Dental pics are too big. Vintage Bob

dave89b

Nov 7, 2009
well the clips didnt come today so i used the old ones. i just couldn't wait any longer. needless to say, shes running great :)

it still knocks tho, maybe thats just how it sounds? but it runs great. i put about 10 miles on it tonight following the break in procedure in the manual.

reepicheep

Apr 3, 2009
On the KDX you can leave the head attached to the jug and pull it off as a unit (I LOVE two strokes), so the base gasket is the only one involved... and if that is in good shape it can probably be reused... as it isn't nearly as high pressure as the head gasket.

And why replace the rings if you just pop it apart to put in the new circlips? I haven't heard that before.

It'll be an interesting experiment. I wouldn't reuse circlips because everyone says not too, and they are so cheap to replace. I guess we will find out if that's still a real and valid concern soon enough ;).

Did you orient the circlip so that the opening was either point to 12 or 6 o-clock? That might give you a little extra margin.

You probably *can* reuse circlips. Sometimes. But other times you probably can't. The rub is that it is (a) probably impossible to know the difference reliably and (b) really cheap to put in new circlips.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
yeh let us know, would ya :coocoo:

Julien
the thing I always forget when putting the circlips in but remember after a few minutes is to hold the circlip like you'd hold a coin when putting it in a vending machine with the open end facing you, then push it in the hole till it compresses, then rotate it so its now in the correct sort of position and push it in with a pick and hear the clicks as it finds the groove ...I always find a flashlight for final inspection...

hope you get my explaination,,, it's much easier than putting one side in and having to push the other side in :cool:

Top Bottom