sintax

Dec 20, 2006
There is a bike that I went a looked at, the guy does not have the title for it. He said that the guy he bought it from 2 yrs ago lost it when he moved.

Who knows what the story really is... Is there a way for me to find out if the bikes stolen before I fork over cash? From what I understand I can always apply for a lost title with the California DMV (where I'm located and the bike is too) and they can issue a replacement title. Can I call somebody and have them run the VIN or anything? An internet site would be even better, i would not even need to use my dialing wand.

I just dont want to caugh up the cash to find out its a stolen bike and then be hosed.

Any info would be great.

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
thats what i was not sure of. If thats all it takes that super easy. You know how weird everyone is about information these days. You can hardly get anything without people worrying about compremising their social security numbers and junk.

Anyone have any personal exprience with this kinda stuff??

sintax

Dec 20, 2006
CerkMX said:
What's a title? :nener:

I suppose thats an option too, out of the 16 yrs i've been riding desert i've never once been checked and only seen the BLM a handfull of times. Call me old fashioned, but i'd still like to be on the level.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Some states don't title or license dirt bikes. California is not one of those states. Some owners from out of state never bother to get a title here, and some people who lose a title don't want to pay the DMV for a replacement, so it could be an honest mistake.

Most guys who lost the title but knew they wanted to sell the bike would have just sucked it up and went to the DMV to get a replacement. So unless the guy is a recent arrival from out of state, I would be very suspicious.

But no way I would buy a non-titled bike in CA unless I was certain it was not stolen, and the only way to do that is to have the VIN checked and cleared.

If you do buy a stolen bike because you fail to take precautions, I can only hope the rightful owner gets it back from you ASAP. If my bike ever got stolen, I would have no sympathy at all for whoever got caught with it.

Top Bottom