swa

Jun 1, 2005
Hit a small steep double over the weekend, the front end came up to high landed with a hand full of throttle and ate it.
I got bit by this jump and stayed clear of it the rest of the day.

How do you hit these small steep jumps without bringing the front end up to high?

I also have the tendency to bring the front end up on other jumps, although I am in the attack position and leaning forward. Any suggestions?

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
If you're hitting gapped doubles, you should know how to use proper body english to get your nose down in mid flight.
If you're not comfortable in the air yet, don't pin the throttle the whole way up the takeoff ramp. Just give it a little blip at the top right before you leave the lip and you won't go as nose-high.
Keep doing this until you're comfortable with your body position in the air.

Most importantly: Don't be hitting jumps that you're not comfortable with yet. You could get hurt and end up on the couch for a few months. Keep it close to your limits. Not within your limits, but not too far out from them either.

Good luck,

Ryan

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Trying time a blip is probably not the best approach on a small steep jump ... it's hard to do consistantly. If the jump tends to throw the front up, just try to get more forward and keep the throttle steady.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Same idea, different words to maybe help you visualize what everyone else is saying: Have your speed set and maintain it. Don't accelerate off the lip. Practice on some small singles to figure out what happens to the bike as you come off of the lip. Get good on tabletops before you launch a gap.

83MX80

Feb 21, 2005
if your by urself with no other bikes around then you could prolly blip the throttle a bit off the lip and make a little rut before the jump and then make a loop and hit it again, and make sure you make that same rut you did the time before. just i thought that came into my mind at the moment.

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
I'd say these are all good advice. Steady throttle don't accelerate off the face of the jump. If you blip the throttle it will work by slightly preloading the suspension. Depending on the gap size squeeze the bike with your thighs and then push the bike forward with your arms. Oh yeah, release the throttle as soon as you leave the jump face.

swa

Jun 1, 2005
Thanks for all the info. I am going to the same track thursday. I will keep in mind all your suggestions. Thanks again...........Tom

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
swa said:
landed with a hand full of throttle and ate it.

That sounds familiar! :think:

Top Bottom