Lost top end when after putting together side case

KDX200Biker

Nov 22, 2001
I had to take off the right side case to fix the kickstarter, not just the clutch cover, the whole side, and had to take off the gear and rod that goes up into the top end, after putting it back together the bike wont rev up the whole way and has little to no top end, i think its somthing with that shaft and gear going from the case to the top end, can anyone help me to fix this, or tell me what position to put the gears up there in. i made sure the pin thing at the bottom was in the groove on the gear in the case. idk how to adjust it, nothing to help in my manual. please help me i have to race on sunday

mstone

Jun 17, 2002
Sounds like the exhaust valves aren't opening. If this happens the compression is to high for the high rpms and the exhaust is trying to escape through a smaller opening then it should. To check, take the plastic cover off and rev the engine past 6000 rpms and make sure the rod moves the exhaust valve shaft out.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Yes, you must have messed something up with the powervalve linkage by accident. You can also pop the round cover (with the blade screwdriver head) off and rev the bike. You should see the rod and pinion in there turn. 6000 rpm's isnt very much, so you shouldnt have to take the throttle past 1/2 to get them to turn (open). This way, you can check the KIPS while keeping you exhaust pipe off, instead of having to take the pipe and the cover off and risk ripping the gasket.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…