lcwarnke

Jul 14, 2002
My 99 KX250 is low on stopping power for the rear brakes, but the brake pads don't look to warn. What is the best way to clean them up, or at some point do they just gloss over and need replacing even though there is plenty of pad?

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Sometimes the calliper pistons get a bit seized up & don’t want to move or return fully. Take the pads out Pump the pistons out a few mm till clean material is shown & use a thin rag to clean up pistons. (if you need to use something on the rag use brake fluid). Push carefully back in place unless they are badly rusty.
Check the pad pins are not rutted & the sliding pins are smooth & not too (!) sloppy

Change the fluid while you are at it.

You can sand the glaze off pads but once pads are contaminated with oil they are history.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I have used a wire wheel to scuff up brake pads that had fork fluid on them, and it seemed to return the majority of their stopping power. As mentioned above, clean the brake pins (or lightly sand them) and change your brake fluid often.

BlazinBoy

Feb 13, 2004
Yeah KX rear brakes will glaze (the pads) so rough them up occasionaly. ALso replace the pin which holds the pads on regulalry as they wear easily. Replace the brake fluid and bleed the line regularly.....they are alot of maintenance but woth it when you need em. Oh also take a look at the brake rotor.....the stock rotors are too thin and too much material is removed (the slots in the disc) for adequete surface area for the pads to grip......I suggest replacing the disc with a braking or moose disc. They are thicker and have more material for the pads to grasp when braking.

Top Bottom