mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I'm a big slug in the woods, and spend a lot of time at idle on long downhill trails. Should I try a size smaller pilot, to conteract any after idle load up? I'm just always a bit nervous to keep going leaner.....

It a 45 now ( with a 155, FMF woods, 03 200)

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
You'll know when you're too lean: You'll get hesitation when you hit the gas hard from an idle. Also, if you're too lean, the bike will scream like hell when you start up cold with the choke on. If you haven't had either symptom yet, go another step leaner. You can't hurt anything otherwise.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
It has "screamed" when choked cold since the day I bought it. That includes stock jetting and all the jetting changes since.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
My experience says that it won't matter what pilot you use...if you downhill for much time at all, you're going to get a 4-stroke response at the bottom.

Oh..I don't mean like a 4-stroke..but a firing-every-other-time blubbering goober.

OK..maybe I DO mean 'like a 4-stroke' after all? ;)

Anyway...a needle change will cure any plug load-up troubles. Yes..I know you've done some needle changing..but I'm talking about a complete profile change....like a 'C' or even a 'D' series needle.

A better plug does matter. An 'EG' plug will work better in marginal situations than the 'ES' does. No, it's not a substitute for proper jetting, but will resolve spark problems in, as said, marginal situations.

With either a CEL or DEK on my bike (keep in mind it's an rb carb with a #7 slide), I can go downhill as long as I want (or have to)..and at the bottom is nothing but instant throttle response..not a 4-stroke burble nowhere!

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
CC just gave you the correct answer, but to get you immediately further down the road (if you ride at "normal" elevations) a 42 in the pilot should work fine and give you better--but not perfect response!

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yep. I didn't mean to imply that downsizing the pilot was an error.

It's not.

42 certainly isn't out of line.

I use a 40 even below sealevel AND in the sand. Not a whole lotta low speed stuff in that situation...and what someone else runs has nothing to do with you...but just fyi anyway.

Cheers!

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Thanks guys. Not just for taking time on this thread, but for all my (and every other rookie's) other threads. The site helps SO much.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom