HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Here's the scoop: '96 CR500 with FMF Fatty Gold Series Pipe and FMF Turbine Core II Q silencer/SA (just put on). I replaced the previous silencer (Answer) and was hoping to get the unit a little quieter with the TCII Q. I can't tell the difference between the two. I do notice that a significant amount of noise comes from the head/pipe area. Is this normal? My last ride was a '84 CR250, but its been 16 years ago and I don't remember.

Is there a quieter pipe? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
I know the CR500 is a loud bike but I have also heard some quiet ones. My guess from your description is your head pipe/fatty is cracked somewhere. Maybe a hole or some kind of leak, this would definately make it louder. Check it over and give it a look.

Now in my opinion when I go to a FMF pipe I get more of a twangy metal sound from the pipe over a stock, but I don't think it makes it really loud like you are described.

good luck

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I didn't think there was such a thing as a quiet 500 :)

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I didnt know FMF made a fatty pipe for the 89-01 CR 500. The only pipe ive seen are the Gnarly that I have. Are you sure its the right pipe for your bike? I could be wrong. If you dont see a crack in the pipe then make sure the pipe fits against the cylinder nicely and make sure that the O ring seal is still in good shape.

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I didnt know FMF made a fatty pipe for the 89-01 CR 500. The only pipe ive seen are the Gnarly that I have. Are you sure its the right pipe for your bike? I could be wrong. If you dont see a crack in the pipe then make sure the pipe fits against the cylinder nicely and make sure that the O ring seal is still in good shape.

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
I guess they did make one because someone else just told me they had one. FMF said they discontinued it though. Id love to trade my Gnarly for one!

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
I have a couple of guys who ride CR500's in our regular crew and I can vouch that the FMF system definiteley produces a far more tinny twangy metal type sound. Its noticeable but I dont know if its actually any louder. Just as a side note, one of the guys has also just put a steering damper on his reckons it made a big difference, and Ive seen a couple YZ426 riders flicking their eye's between the two after going for a ride, with the suspension well set up it sure does handle nice!! Oh and Boyeson Rad Valves contrary to what you may think actually smoothes out the power some and makes much better traction. That was my impression after I took it out for a blast. Just my 20 cents worth.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
In reply to Sharp7277. Yes it really made the front end very predictable and quite steady feeling, thats why the YZ426 boys were thinking about it. They couldn't believe how well it stayed on track and how much more predictable it was then what they'd been told. That and and the power, like I said the Rad Valve seemed to make a far more tractable power delivery so the four strokers were impressed with how easy the motor was to use, much easier than what they'd been led to expect.

HomeMadeSin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2001
Thanks for the info guys. I've been having modem problems and therefore have been off-line for a few days.

Anyway, I'll look into the o-ring seal that was mentioned. I looked last night, but could not see any cracks anywhere.

It definately has that tingy twang sound. It just seems that more noise is coming from the pipe area than out the exhuast. I'm suspecting that the issue is at the pipe/cylinder connection.

BTW, I put on the FMF TurbineCore IIQ silencer/SA and it hits the rear fender. Looks like I'll have to do some light dremmel work to clear the interference. I was a bit disappointed about that.

Top Bottom