loud engine!

Rappo

Nov 1, 2001
I just bought a used 99 kdx200 ,did'nt really notice how much racket the engine makes while idling till i got it in my garage! wow! this is with a stock pipe.seems quieter while reving it up,but loud rattilling when at idle,is this normal? people have told me it's just another KDX! true? The bike seems to run strong? a little smoke but seems to pull good. Am I worring about the noise for nothing? thanks for any input.

Dave S.

~SPONSOR~
May 27, 2000
Yea, they do rattle - even when brand new. The first time I fired up my '99 200 (at the dealer) I thought there must be something coming apart. They just make a lot of mechanical noise, nothing to worry about if the bike has had reasonable care.
:eek:

headbanger

May 7, 2000
My 2000 KDX200 also sounds like it's about to throw a rod!Even with a full quart in the tranny. I think my added skid plate makes it sound even worse. I have a buddy with a 97 KDX220 and his makes very little noise??? Do other 220's make the rattle also? Mine has'nt grenaded yet so I guess it's normal.
Good Luck!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
My 98 220 dosn't make this noise you guys speak of. The 200's and 220"s are exactly the same except the obvious larger engine in the 220 and a few other things. Maybe it is just the 200's that make this noise :think

Kawierider

Jun 7, 2001
careful

my kdx, although it is much older used to make alot of noise.....if it really worries you take a stethescope and put it against the cases near the crank and differents ots around the motor. the place with the most noise is your problem. kdx's are notoriously loud just make sure your running good oil and high enough octane to prevent detonation. listen for dhanges in the noise or an increase in the volume. this happened to my bike ( i thought the piston was gonna blow through the cylinder head adn tank) adn when i pulled it apart i found the lower rod bearing was shot.
It most likely isnt a problem but if you uncertain about the bikes history next time you give it a top end job just check the rod for play ( up and down ) and look up specs for the side clearance( mine was .070 inches) with a feeler gauge
dont worry to much its pretty much normal but if you are paranoid run those tests.
good luck
Tim:cool:

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
My '94 was super quiet in neutral or while riding. My friends '95 had a horrible screech occasionaly while in neutral, something to do with the clutch springs or plates. It was a known problem with the '95, my buddy called fredette and he told him not to worry it was just something from the factory on that model year.

Rappo

Nov 1, 2001
thanks for yer help guys,I thing I might take it apart this winter and check that lower rod bearing for play.Come to find out, the guy i bought it from ran Quaker State 2 stroke oil! ....OH well my fault for not asking!I don't think this is very good oil,now i'll probley pay for it .......thanks again

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
I have a 96 200 that also makes alot of racket. The bike runs great, just an awful rattle coming from engine. Could this be the valves, as the rattles don't seem to correspond to the rpms? I'll get ahold of factory manual and check it out. Also a slight differance when clutch is pulled but thats not the major sorce.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by Rappo
Come to find out, the guy i bought it from ran Quaker State 2 stroke oil! ....OH well my fault for not asking!I don't think this is very good oil,now i'll probley pay for it
Any two-stroke oil will protect the engine parts from wear. Even regular engine oil used in a pinch will suffice to protect the engine. The biggest difference in oils is in the cleanliness and completeness of combustion. A dirty, poor burning oil (Golden Spectro comes to mind here) will tend to leave a lot of deposits in the engine and/or spooge a lot. I wouldn't worry about the mechanical state of the engine based soley on the brand of oil the former owner used. The time intervals between tear-downs is the most important factor. A '99 model KDX may be about due for a top and/or bottom end rebuild (not likely on the bottom-end), depending on how much and how hard it was ridden, and how well it was maintained, such as filter cleanliness. These engines are very durable and long-lasting, and tend to be much more tolerant of neglect and abuse than most two-strokes.

Kawie two-stroke engines in general tend to be mechanically noisy, I wouldn't worry too much unless you have reason to suspect imminent mechanical failure.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
A dirty, poor burning oil (Golden Spectro comes to mind here)

You know it’s funny I was thinking yesterday as I reached for my bottle of Golden Spectro that you had mentioned a dislike for this oil. I have run this in the KDX since reconing it but have yet to pull it apart again & will do so with interest. I chose this oil having run it in one of my play racebikes (the serious ones I use Motul 800) & was impressed by the low measured ring wear & uncanny cleanliness!!

Funny innit? :think

We'll see what my powervalves look like after a season.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I have known people on both sides of the fence with regards to this oil. It seems to me that there are more factors involved than just riding style and jetting. I think the design of the engine itself (combustion chamber shape, port flow patterns,exhaust wave tuning, etc...) must also contribute to how clean or dirty a particular oil will leave the engine. In my engine, no matter how sharp I tried to jet, or how hard I rode, GS spooged a lot, and left tons of deposits in the combustion chamber and exhaust port/valve area. Yamalube 2R leaves everything clean, and doesn't spooge in my bike. Maybe the Yamaha Oil Fairies are spiriting the unburned oil away?:think :eek: :)

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Hmm, you have to be careful with that sort thing. Those fairies are vicious!

I used to run modified Yamaha Pistons in a Honda but they always tried to get out for Taste & brand loyalty reasons.

Always mix your oil out of eyeshot of your non Yamaha approved motorcycle.

Rappo

Nov 1, 2001
I feel a little better, I heard another kdx run today,it was as loud as mine.I'll just have to get used to a loud engine at idle! thanks!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…