Louisiana ride 01/1-4/04

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
We're looking at making a trip to Forest Hills, La for New Years thru the weekend. Some of the gang will get there New Years Eve and some will be arriving on Friday. Everyone is welcome to join us at any time. Put in on your schedule now, the more the merrier.

Mark

I will be there Saturday for sure. Maybe even on New Year's Day, depending on how messed up I get the night before.

I'd love to meet y'all there. I'm from Lafayette and just got a '99 kdx 200. New to the boards here but I'd still like to go. Do y'all ride Camp Claiborne?(the abandoned military base)

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
Yes, Camp Claiborne is also known as Forest Hills. Hope you can make it. The more the merrier.

Mark

I grew up riding out there but those new loops are awesome! I don't know how long ago they were added but last time I went (about a month ago on a quad) there were 3 new 30 mile loops out there. Do you meet at the gravel parking lot where the trailheads and restrooms are?

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
We usually camp in the circle behind the parking lot. I've been riding there about 7 years and the 3 - 30 mile loops have been there since I've been going. They are starting to reroute some of the trails for conservation purposes. Some of the "30 miles loops" are actually 20 miles because wet sections have been cut out for now. There are alot of self made short cut trails that are forbidden riding since they imposed the stay on the marked trails regulations. If you are caught riding off of the marked trails, you get a ticket. They are doing a much better job of marking the trails now. When we first started going the trails were poorly marked and it was easy to get lost with all the short cut trails and such. Overall a great place to ride.

mark

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
Haven't heard from of a few of the regulars that come with us. Is everyone going to be able to make it? Hope we have a good turnout.

Mark

I rode there on the weekend of nov 14th and they were fine. The normal quad tracks but only rutted in the muddy spots which should be few by now. There are plenty of lines to choose from in the muddy spots.

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
It's been a month or so since I've been, but last time it was just as yater described. Normal tracks, but still plenty of optional lines available. You should come see for youself.

Mark

if it aint too cold . if the weather is nice me and my cousin will come up on friday night. how is the camping area?toilets?

junkjeeps

Lifetime Sponsor
Primitive camping. No electricity, unless you bring a generator. No water, unless you bring your own. They do have toilets. Very similar to a port-o-let. Basically a hole in the ground with a toilet seat. I prefer to go find a tree. It doesn't smell as bad. If I run my generator at night, you're welcome to plug in. I can't guarantee I'll run it though. It depends on how cold it is. Hope you can make it.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
I am from Huntsville,Al. we are coming in to Metairie for new years to visit my family.The last time I came in rode with an old friend Brian in Hattiesburg.I would love to meet up with ya'll,I have been away from Metairie for the last 10yrs and would move back in a minute if I knew there is some good riding.I love trail riding,h.s. and son likes mx,trails.Robby

Camp Claiborne, aka Forest Hill, is about 3-4 hours from N.O. So it's not like it is the New Orleans area. You pretty much have Claiborne or go to MS to ride. I will be there on the 3rd (saturday) for sure.