junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
We're looking at making a trip to Forest Hills, La for New Years thru the weekend. Some of the gang will get there New Years Eve and some will be arriving on Friday. Everyone is welcome to join us at any time. Put in on your schedule now, the more the merrier.

Mark

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I'd love to meet y'all there. I'm from Lafayette and just got a '99 kdx 200. New to the boards here but I'd still like to go. Do y'all ride Camp Claiborne?(the abandoned military base)

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Yes, Camp Claiborne is also known as Forest Hills. Hope you can make it. The more the merrier.

Mark

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I grew up riding out there but those new loops are awesome! I don't know how long ago they were added but last time I went (about a month ago on a quad) there were 3 new 30 mile loops out there. Do you meet at the gravel parking lot where the trailheads and restrooms are?

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
We usually camp in the circle behind the parking lot. I've been riding there about 7 years and the 3 - 30 mile loops have been there since I've been going. They are starting to reroute some of the trails for conservation purposes. Some of the "30 miles loops" are actually 20 miles because wet sections have been cut out for now. There are alot of self made short cut trails that are forbidden riding since they imposed the stay on the marked trails regulations. If you are caught riding off of the marked trails, you get a ticket. They are doing a much better job of marking the trails now. When we first started going the trails were poorly marked and it was easy to get lost with all the short cut trails and such. Overall a great place to ride.

mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Haven't heard from of a few of the regulars that come with us. Is everyone going to be able to make it? Hope we have a good turnout.

Mark

yater

Nov 7, 2003
I rode there on the weekend of nov 14th and they were fine. The normal quad tracks but only rutted in the muddy spots which should be few by now. There are plenty of lines to choose from in the muddy spots.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
It's been a month or so since I've been, but last time it was just as yater described. Normal tracks, but still plenty of optional lines available. You should come see for youself.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Primitive camping. No electricity, unless you bring a generator. No water, unless you bring your own. They do have toilets. Very similar to a port-o-let. Basically a hole in the ground with a toilet seat. I prefer to go find a tree. It doesn't smell as bad. If I run my generator at night, you're welcome to plug in. I can't guarantee I'll run it though. It depends on how cold it is. Hope you can make it.

robrm250

Sponsoring Member
May 5, 2002
I am from Huntsville,Al. we are coming in to Metairie for new years to visit my family.The last time I came in rode with an old friend Brian in Hattiesburg.I would love to meet up with ya'll,I have been away from Metairie for the last 10yrs and would move back in a minute if I knew there is some good riding.I love trail riding,h.s. and son likes mx,trails.Robby

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Camp Claiborne, aka Forest Hill, is about 3-4 hours from N.O. So it's not like it is the New Orleans area. You pretty much have Claiborne or go to MS to ride. I will be there on the 3rd (saturday) for sure.

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
From Metarie, take I-10 west all the way to Lafayette. At Lafayette, get on I-49 North. Take I-49 until you see Forest Hill/Lecompte exit. It's about 18 miles south of Alexandria. There will be a Burger King and a Chevron on this exit. Get off the Interstate and go left(west). Follow this Highway until you cross a set of railroad tracks and come to a T in the road. Take a right(north) and go about 2 miles. There will be a road on your left and a sign I believe with Woodworth on it. Take the left and go another 2-3 miles. On your right will be a sign that says Claiborne multi-use trail. Take that right and you will cross a cattle guard and follow that dirt road until you see the trailhead/camping area on your left. Turn into the camping area and go all the way to the back. We should be set up in the back right corner unless someone beats us to the spot. We'll have a toy box trailer pulled by a white Ford F250 and a motorhome pulling an enclosed trailer.

Mark

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Exit #66 is the one you are looking for off I-49. Since I am going up on Saturday, I can meet anyone who would like to follow me up from Lafayette. Just shoot me an email and I will tell you where to meet me.
blanco9@att.net

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
That'll be my luck. I'm keeping a close eye on it.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
They just closed the forest. Read below:

News Release
U.S. Forest Service
2500 Shreveport Highway
Pineville, Louisiana 71360

Kisatchie National Forest
Release No. KNR-05
Date: December 29, 2003 Jim Caldwell
Public Affairs Officer
318-473-7168

PORTIONS OF KISATCHIE NATIONAL FOREST CLOSES TO ORV USE

PINEVILLE -As of Tuesday, December 30, the Calcasieu, Catahoula, and
Kisatchie Districts of the Kisatchie National Forest are closed to off road
vehicle (ORV) use. This closure includes trails (such as the Enduro and
Sandstone Trails) and cross-country ORV travel on the affected districts. The
Winn and Caney Districts remain open for ORV use. In the past 24 hours
precipitation amounts have ranged from 1+ to 3+ inches on the affected
districts. Additional rainfall is currently predicted for later in the week.
The closure is needed to protect soil and water resources, and will last
through at least noon of Monday, January 5th. A reminder to all forest users
that hunting season remains open on the Kisatchie National Forest, hence
hunter orange continues to be recommended for forest visitors. For more
information, please call 318-473-7160 during normal work hours, and 1-866-830-
6467 regarding closure information after normal work hours.

sluggo69

May 24, 2003
jj and bandit if you still want to ride .the sawdust piles in saucier miss. never closes. its 10 or so miles north of gulfport. its popular with the people in the gulfcoast area. the loop is only 12 or so miles of single track. if you want to go shoot me an email at redgooseshoe@ziplip.com

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Appreciate the offer Sluggo, but a 3.5 hour drive for 12 miles of trail just isn't enough for me. Maybe if we raced it like a harescramble 5 or 6 times. There are some riding areas around Laurel and New Augusta, but I have never been. I also don't know if they are open. Looks like a good week to tear down and grease swingarm, linkage, and changed the fluid in the shock. Maintanence weekend!

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Change in plans. We have decided to go to Gilmer, TX. I've been wanting to try out Barnwell Mt anyway. I talked to the guy that runs it last night and he said they will be open this weekend. Everyone's welcome to come. I haven't decided whether I'm leaving Thursday night or Friday morning yet. They don't open the gates until 6pm on Friday. I might drive a little on Thursday afternoon. Let me know if any of you are still interested. Thanks for the offer Sluggo, but I'm with Bandit, 12 miles won't make a weekend. Maybe we can make a day trip there in the near future. I'd like to check it out.

Mark

Top Bottom