junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Planning a trip to Forest Hills the weekend of September 13th, weather permitting. We will camp in the usual spot as long as no one gets it before us. Hope you can make it.

Mark

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
I might take my crew and meet up with you guys. Where do you normally camp? We usually meet up at around 8:30 am on the left as you pass through the main parking area. I have a crew of about 4-8 riders that ride their every other Saturday. The 13th falls on a riding day. I might have met you guys a few weeks back. We started on the Boy Scout loop and I ended up helping some rookie on a xr250 who submerged his bike in a deep water filled rut. Took us 45 mins to get started. Anyhow I will be looking for you. What vehicles will you be in?

Bandit9

Jul 14, 2002
Spillway? I have heard that the Spillway is not worth the drive (2hrs) for a dirt bike. Sluggo send me an email and I will let you know the next time we ride. Which will be this Saturday at 8:30 am at Breezy Hill.
blanco9@att.net

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
We'll have a motorhome pulling an enclosed trailer and a white Ford FX4 pulling a travel trailer. We will probably be in the back right corner of the staging area. Hoping to get there early enough on Friday to ride a while and staying thru Sunday. Hope you can make it.

Mark

jeffb

Apr 15, 2002
Can you give me directions to forest Hills? (coming from Harahan)
Are the trails marked?
Are there hookups at the camping area or would i need to bring a generater?
thanks,
jeff

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Easiest way to get there is take I-10 to Lafayette, then I-49 north towards Alexandria. About 20 miles south of Alexandria is the Forest Hill/Lecompe exit. There is a Chevron and a Burger King at that exit. Get off of interstate and go left until you cross a railroad track. As soon as you cross the RR track there is a stop sign(road comes to a T and there is a convenience store). Take a right and go about 1-2 miles. On the left there will be a road, Hwy 112 to Woodworth, take that left and then follow signs to Claiborne riding area. You should go another 2-3 miles on Hwy112, then you will see the sign for the riding area. It will be a dirt road on the right hand side. Follow that main dirt road to the trailhead(less than 2 miles). The trailhead has places to camp, but no electricity. You will have to bring a generator. The trails are marked with an orange dot system, but can still be confusing if you are not familiar with the place. Alot of trails intersect and can take you the wrong direction. We know the place pretty well, so if you ride with us, you should be ok. We will get there on Friday afternoon late and try to start riding by 9am Saturday morning. There are 3 - 30 mile loops. Usually make a morning loop and then another after lunch. Denpending on condition of weather, us and the bikes, we try to make a ride on Sunday morning as well. Here is a link to Yahoo maps to give you an idea once you get off the interstate. The star is where the RR tracks and T in the road is.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?n...zip=71430&country=US&BFClick=&BFKey=&resize=s

Any other questions, just ask. I will be leaving from Luling on Friday if you want to follow. Let me know.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Last call. We should be there by 6-7pm on Friday afternoon.

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
You guys didn't miss anything. Got all the way there and sometime between leaving the house and getting there(about 3 hours), they closed due to excessive rainfall. We went ahead and spent the night hoping they would reopen in the morning, but they didn't. The real kicker was the sun was out, sky was blue and no standing water on the trail. Perfect riding conditions. Looked like they watered the trail to keep the dust down. Go figure! On a side note quoting the ranger. Once the gates are closed for excessive rainfall, they stay closed for 7 days. :flame:

Mark

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
Yeah, the last few times we've been there, I've gotten that not wanted feeling. But you've got to look at from the rangers view. Less people, less work.

Mark

Top Bottom