low flow pistons

DJPdesign

Mar 26, 2003
OK, I’m new here but what are low flow pistons?
How do they help / hinder?
Who makes them?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The low flows are badly named as the flow is actually the same in all pistons(its the amount of fluid displaced by the damper rod) in a large port design like the gold valve the velocity of the fluid will be low.In a small port design the velocity is high.So a low flow is better described as high velocity.Saying all that the people who use them are pro-action(had some dubious quality problems in the old days) and mx-tech(forum sponsor) and gp racing.
Pro action is the available in the UK.

The low flows i do believe give a slightly better small bump action.The difference form a really good set up on a std piston to a low flow is small but then so are most things as you push the limits.One thing is for certain-the showas are the best suspension available-many works forks are just straight copies of yours.
MX tech is available by MXW in rugby
Gp racing is US based.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
DJP you mmight want to look up www.gp-racing.com i remember that you were looking for shim specs, those guys sell them, but i wonder how many they sell since they charge the same price as a revalve. they also have a web forum where you might be able to find out more info.

cheers:)

DJPdesign

Mar 26, 2003
Thanks.
Starting to understand the front forks, got some plans, l'll post my results.
Dan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…