Low Life Thieves

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by RM_guy

Oh yeah Dan, thank you for the new bike :aj:

No problem, I hope I at least bought you a good one this time ;) . BTW I had my card with me the whole time. All the purchases were via mail order or internet.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
It all steams me up! No doubt about it. :|

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
as a victim of two break-ins (specifically for the motorcycle), i know how it feels Jmics. i too have lost plenty of sleep.
I wanted to add that people shouldn't take it personally if their property is stolen (or attempted). it usally isn't a personal attack on the individual, and as we have learned on this site, it can happen to anyone. Never assume you won't be a target, because thinking like that is a good way of losing your machine. If i didn't have my Kryptonite U-Lock on my bike the first time they broke in, i would have lost it, no question. I have learned that too much security doesn't exsist.
My garage has three locks on the side access door (one dead lock), and three on the roller door (two on the inside). Once inside there is a very good alarm system. If all that fails, there is two Kryptonite locks chaining the bike to a steel pole. i also take my front wheel off because i only ride once every month now.
i also fitted a security light on the inside of my garage (great idea!). it is also handy when you run in at night to grab something.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by RM_guy
Ouch. I hope you had the $50 max out of pocket deal. My credit union even waives the $50s
At this point I don't know what I have. The card company canceled my card and I have to wait until I'm issued a new one to dispute what charges are mine.
I did get a call last night from a software company in CA. someone was trying to use my card and they thought it was suspicious. They provided me with the ISP, name, tel # (sprint cell #) for what thats worth.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Daniel, you have the right info for your local guys to pursue the jerk. It's the fact of trying to get your local agencies to handle the case. sad to say but it doesn't get pursued often if it doesn't invlove massive amounts of money. We pursue anything that comes into our office, that's how we are, but I can't speak for other agencies. Some agencies are so overwhelmed with cases, they don't have time for them. We usually try and tie in some sort of vehicle theft or rental fraud or anything else that relates to vehicles so we can take the cases. Our uppers want our efforts concentrated on vehicle theft. Good luck.
Elk

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I figure I'll see who got ripped off and offer them what info I have. You would have thought the credit card company would have raised a red flag when my card was used for something else beside dirt bike parts :scream:

Moose95

Sponsoring Member
Mar 9, 2002
Elk,
No one mentioned anything about VIN #'s. How much use is it for law enforcement agencies to have the vin of the stolen bike? If I remember not too long ago Papa Keith had one of his bikes ripped off for a short time, something about a guy with a cast on his foot found it and rode it back to P.K.'s place? Good story maybe he can post a link to the thread, at least he had a happy ending. I really like the idea of the motion light inside the garage, me I try to rely on the claymore's in the driveway, ha ha!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
A disk type lock (like the ones used for self storage places) through the rotor makes a hell deterent for rolling the bike off. You can't get bolt cutters on it. Someone also makes one designed for the same purpose (maybe kriptonite). They use them on street bikes. Just don't forget to remove if when you take off.

kingriz1

Aug 2, 2001
Two things.

One, get a dog. A big one. Most thieves will just pass up to the next house. Ask Elk how many homes with dogs get broken into. Now it does not do much good if the dog cant get to the area that needs guarding.

Two, Elk what do you do if you have a bike that you think might have been stolen at one time?

One of my riding buddies bought a bike and it was a good deal. About 500 bucks under value. He got the hunch it might be stolen so he sold it off. neither him, nor myself, wanted to explain why a stolen bike was in my storage shed. We searched all over the different boards and no one had reported a bike like that stolen, so maybe we were just paranoid. Is there a service that can tell us stuff like that? I live in Texas, no one has titles to dirtbikes over a couple of years old it seems like.

TrailDawg

Sep 7, 2001
Great Post! Two of my riding buddies had their two brand new YZ125's stolen along with all their gear a week after they got them. Both bikes were locked up in the enclosed trailer, but Shawn kept the keys in the ashtray of his truck (which was unlocked). Obviously it had to be someone he knew since they knew where the keys were. The thieve's had to have made several trips back and forth for everything, as we found their tracks going through a muddy field to the next road over (about a half mile).

Also, don't put too much faith in your dogs. Shawn has three that stay outside and I swear never stop barking when someone comes into the drive, but they didn't make a peep that night. I'm just glad I didn't start keeping my bike out there when they got the trailer or I would have been in the same boat.

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
my bud had his kdx and son's xr70 stolen ...christmas eve this yr,nice huh.i had the window of my truck busted out and was robbed this summer.hate to say it changed me.wish a little of the wild west would come back,we need it.i took a smoke detector ,ran 2 wires to a close pin,if the garage door goes up the pin closes completing the circuit and goes off?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Moose, the Vin is what the bike is input as stolen under. If it's a dirt bike, alot of times there is no plate so it has to be done this way. If someone tries to register it, it'll get a hit on the Vin.

Riz, it definately helps with the dog. It also helps the neighbors on both sides of you too. As long as it's not a barker that barks at the wind, it'll be fine. If they hear a dog bark all day, a bark at night might not raise suspicion.

If you think the bike might have been stolen, the best thing to do is to notify your local P.D. and let them know. Someone down the line is going to get burned and it'd be nice if you helped that from happening. I can always check stuff for you guys, just let me know.:thumb:
Elk

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Here's another tip. If you are selling your bike never have the prospective buyer meet you at your house. Arrange to have them meet you a someplace a few miles away. I know a few guys who never had a problem, but had bikes ripped off once they advertised.

moose377

Aug 16, 2002
hey gooby everybody know where i live and everybody knows that i have more than about 7000$ in my shop and i leave it unlocked everynight and nobody has stole anything yet and the day that somebody steals something i will start locking my stuff up we even leave our cars unlocked the only people that come up are my friends and relatives

gooby

Nov 8, 2001
no offense moose :) i hear ya....i have 3 bikes,quad(hunting,plow driveway),snowmobile, it's all chained up.i'm upstate ny ....farm country,rented from a dairy farmer for a time.only 5 houses on the rd ,we were lulled till me and a guy dn the rd got pinched.that was a few yrs bk.i'm still kinda rural but i take no chances esp since my bud....also small town got hit.my truck parked at a ridin spot got broke into as well ,just b aware my ridin friends that's all again no offense moose :)
the goob

Top Bottom