JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I've sold a ton of bikes, cars, Jeeps, etc. in my life, but I'm always astounded by the number of people who try to lowball me with some ridiculous offer.

I just had a guy tell me that he's going to pay $3900 for an '04 XR250, but he'll give me $3900 for my '03 WR250F instead. Then he pulled the "call me if you change your mind" BS on me. What a joke.

I hope you enjoy riding your new XR250. :thumb:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I enjoy riding mine ;)

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I did that when I bought my streetbike, offered 3k for a 5k bike and got it.
Sometimes people are hard up for money. But that is not how I normally do it.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Low balls are great as it means they usually have been spent. Sometimes they get hung up on things since they tend to be Low but usually not a problem. :)

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Hey.... it doesn't hurt to make an offer. A buyer can save BIG bucks by low balling, as you call it. What if you needed $3900 tomorrow to keep the bank from reposessing your car and this guy was your only offer?

I sold cars for a few years just to get the education. It's a tough world out there and learning some negotiating skills sure can help.

When I advertise something for sale, I always ask top dollar. I might get it. And if I don't I can always lower the price during negotiations. But ya sure can't raise it.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i always tell them, "make me an offer but don't insult me." that usually gets the message across.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Originally posted by Tree jumper
Low balls are great as it means they usually have been spent. Sometimes they get hung up on things since they tend to be Low but usually not a problem. :)

Yep, I've been a Lowballer on numerous occassions. :eek:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I've already lowered my price three times. The lowball guy knows that, and he still tried to knock another $200 off my price.

I don't mind a lowball offer. I've insulted a few people in my time.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
How much is your asking price, JP? $3,900 for a one year old used 2-owner bike doesn't seem too terrible to me when I saw a place selling brand new '04 WR's on cycletrader for $5,000. :think:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I'm down to $4100. That $5000 WR is in Washington state. Tack on another $200 for shipping. Plus factor in the unknowns, and my bike seems like a deal. There are no cheap '03s in this part of the world. I've looked. :moon: Plus, the owner before me put 12 miles on the bike. He doesn't even count.

I met a local guy recently who paid $4400 for an '02. No way am I giving mine away for $3900. I'll keep it until I die if I can't get $4100.

Endless Mike

Oct 30, 2003
Just wondering,
You just got an 03 WR250f, had an 01 YZ250f, and a KTM, and money troubles, why are you buying all these new bikes just to sell them again?

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Who said anything about money troubles? It's the women - THE WIMMMEN!!!!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
If I could get a brand new WR250F for $5200, with factory warranty, vs. a one year old one for $4400, I'd buy the new one for sure. The woodruf key issue, new tires, chain, etc., not to mention the mechanical liability of that 5 titanium valved engine are just too high to not do that.

Then again, I'll bet yours has some aftermarket goodies that make it more attractive. Yet I'm sure you know you rarely get your money back on those. Which is why you should probably put it back to stock and sell the goodies separately. Then it's apples-apples comparison. After all, we're only talking $200, which you could probably sell an aftermarket muffler alone for.

Seems to me this is a pretty weak flame -- you've even admitted you've insulted sellers in the past!

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
See if that $5200 WR is a reality. I'm willing to bet that it's not. There are always little catches like "OOPS! That was a misprint!" Plus, you're going to lose big $ by buying a new '03 for $500 less than a new '04.

I know the value of my bike, and I'm no novice in the sales arena. The flame is all about a goober who called and offered me $200 less than my bottom dollar, then said "Call me if you change your mind."

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
A couple years ago I went with a friend to look at a used YZ 250. It was an '86 with spooge dripping out of the pipe and all over the frame. Clutch lever was busted off. The top motor mount bolt was so loose you could see it "chattering" as the engine was running. The front break assy. I was told "is in a box over there in the garage.". LOL The guy said he wanted $1300 for it and was pretty firm. I told my friend that I wouldn't give the guy more than $300 for it. My friend offered the 300 and the guy looked to be very insulted. Do you still hate me for being a Lowballer, JP?? :) Or my other question is...Did you ever live in the DFW area and try to sell an '86 YZ? :confused:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
I wouldn't ask $1300 for a $300 bike.

I've never lived in Texas. I heard that the great state had already reached maximum a$$hole capacity, so I'm staying here.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
The flame is all about a goober who called and offered me $200 less than my bottom dollar, then said "Call me if you change your mind."

i think i know that guy. he calls almost every time i have something for sale.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Yeah I figgered. I was just funnin' ya MrPleezer. :laugh:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
The flame is all about a goober who called and offered me $200 less than my bottom dollar, then said "Call me if you change your mind."
Hell, $200 is my standard highball offer!

Top Bottom