mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Approx. 1 1/2 years ago I started having lower back pain, this coincided with my improperly loading my sons XR50 in my truck, so intern I have thought that was the issue. About a week ago I had a thought that I should stop drinking soda (carbonated drinks), so I did. The next day I woke with my back feeling better than it had since it started acting up, it has been a week now and It's seems to be better everyday. I also looked on the net and found articles about carbonated drinks causing kidney problems and stones, whoa I wish I new that before I had that MRI done. Anyway for those of you who suffer from lower back pain you might try this and see if it helps. :thumb:

I'm not sure about beer as I rarely drink it.

u8dirt

~SPONSOR~
May 4, 2002
My doctor told me that too. But didn't limit it just to soda. Said that water is the best thing for your body(which we all know) and that lack of hydration is the problem. And since alcohol does dehydrate you, I guess that would put it right up there with soda. :ugg:

And for some reason tabacco users have been found to be more prone to backpain also.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
im a life long sufferer of kidney stones so i have experienced some of the above. if my kidneys are not flowing urine like they are supposed to, my back aches. i do drink soft drinks, tea, ect. to help my kidneys along ill quit drinking softdrinks and concentrate on water, thinned gatorade and even beer. beer is a diuretic. i dont drink gallons of beer, just one or two an evening when my kidneys are acting up. water works best followed by cranberry juice. start noting how much you drink. in the winter im just not thirsty and i have to make mysef drink. what is it that they say? humans are 80% water? makes sense to put "water" in.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
tx, if you're really passing stones, and they've really been qualitatively identified by either stone analysis or 24 hour urine studies of oxalate, citrate, calcium, uric acid, cr, volume, etc.; therapy should be directed toward the underlying problem. Most people with calcium stones are idiopathic hyperabsorbers of calcium, some have primary hyperparathyroidism, etc., etc.

Have you seen a Nephrologist? If you haven't, you're looking at a lifetime of misery, my friend. A lot of Urologists will be sort of half-assed looking into etiologies and prevention, since their easy form if income is lithotripsy. :eek:

Despite that, there are several good rules of thumb never to forget:

• water,water,water,water,urine output, urine output, water
  • at least 4-6L a day of above
  • stop the damn softdrinks, silly. This is the FIRST thing you should stop. You should never lay another hand on one. They contain large amounts of phosphoric acid. The kidney is the main "balancer" of body acid/base status and pH control (with lung as well, I guess... ;)  If you take in acid, your kidney excretes it. Urinary proton is not good, lowers the supersaturation index of typical stone types, and therefore increases lithogenesis.
  • vitamin Budweiser, 1 or 2 a day (really) Reduces stone formation (incidence) by 40 percent.
  • LOW SALT---calcium follows sodium in the kidney, see steady state references above
  • if a urate former, low (but high biol. value) protein diet
  • DO NOT RESTRICT CALCIUM INTAKE
  • No Grapefruit juice (specifically, really)
  • No pop/soda
  • Did I mention NO pop?
  • There's others, like thiazides/citrates/NaHCO3

Please let me know if you need help

Last edited:

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Since calling it quits with soda I have been drinking more juices mainly apple, orange (low acid) and cranberry types. What effect does this have on the kidneys? I always drink at least 1/2 gallon of water a day.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Nephron I can't let you talk to my wife ever:)
The day after my knee surgery I thought I was going to die I was in so much back pain. Ended up in the ER and sure enough my first ever kidney stones. The next week was hell waiting for them to pass (ever tried drinking 10 glasses of water when getting up to go involved about 10 minutes of work unhooking knee equipment and getting on crutches:()
My wife was a bit panicky because she had started putting extra calcium into averything I drank in the month preceding my surgery and when I found out I told her I knew she was trying to kill me off.
I am a big soda drinker as many as 4 to 5 -20 oz bottles a day so I guess I'll try cutting it down. I also haven't had a beer since DW when I wreckeed my knee- I'll have to pick that back up:). I have noticed a constant dull lower back pain for a week or so now so maybe this change will help.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
nephron,
i usually get a stone passing once every 2/3 years. some start to back up and cause pain but pass quickly 1-2 hours. on the onset of a stone i drink water till i just about puke. er doc told me to do that. hydrostatic pressure maybe? the worst ones are the ones that go on for 6-12+ hours. the funny thing is that after you pass them, no pain except from all the muscle contractions caused by the intense pain. i try to tough it out but by hour 3 my butt is in the er looking for some demerol or whatever it is they shoot me up with. that stuff is gold. kidney stone pain is like that time you caught a spear with your kidney. dont remember? you are lucky my friend. i find most of the serious stones occur when im dehydrated in the summer and i am doing something strenuous. ive seen the stones and they are small and dark brown. irregular in shape but have never had em analyzed.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom