Lower end repair( connecting rod) Yz125 2000

Dino Y

Sep 17, 2003
I think my connecting rod is ticking I havent open the engine yet but if it does, do I Just change the connecting rod and the two bearings and pin that keeps the rod to the crank, Or do I get a new crank with the rod already assembled. When changed my friend's cr 250 98 connecting rod, it didnt worked well the machinist messed up the crank when putting on the new rod so I had to get a new one. what do i do any recomendations

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
yamaha cranks are safer<?> to rebuild than hondas. honda complete cranks are a lot cheaper to buy also. I would most likely rebuild the yamaha but buy new for the honda depending on all circumstances. Any decent machine shop should be able to rebuild the yamaha with archaic tools<press, truing stand or v blocks and a brass hammer> but the honda recquires a special press fixture that will assemble it already trued with out crushing the tin.

Or in other words I have rebuilt my own<or friends> yamaha,suzuki and KTM cranks. Maybe 8 cranks total so it is not exactly brain surgery all it takes is a lot of pressure<shop press> accurate measuring<truing stand and dial indicators> and patience<brass hammer knocking it straight> . The honda though takes an 800$ jig to be able to rebuild. I do not touch them nor do I do enough to warrant buying that jig for all cranks.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
with the new hot rod cranks selling from motosportoutlet.com for $170, these days its cheaper to but a whole new complete crank and put that in, instead of buying a rod for $90 and paying someone $100 to rebuiild the crank

endosports

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by bclapham
with the new hot rod cranks selling from motosportoutlet.com for $170, these days its cheaper to but a whole new complete crank and put that in, instead of buying a rod for $90 and paying someone $100 to rebuiild the crank

I just took a crank to the local dealer and the want $112.50. I used to pay $45.00.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Brian. you need to call Wiseco my man! or else, buy one of those RCE jigs for $800- only 8 cranks and then its paid for itself!:)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Just had my local shop install a new conecting rod on a yz80 crank, $50 labor and $70 for the Rod $120 total. So price new crank Assy's and call a few shops for rebuild fees.

Dino Y

Sep 17, 2003
Wiseco comlete crank for yz125 200

I check out motosportoutlet.com and they have the complete crank for $160 and I was thinking instead of putting on a new connecting rod to get the whole crank but whats the quality in contrast with the OEM. Does it worth getting the wiseco crank, it comes ready assembled with a hot rod connecting rod. Has any one tryed it is. I am a bit suspicius becouse its not the OEM. ON the site sais """"""""

""""All new assembly.Crankshafts are sold complete with Hot Rod ConnectingRods, top end bearings and inner crankshaft webs.Factory assembled and trued to OEM specifications.Ready for installation.Crankshafts are completely rebuildable. """""""""

any information will be more than apreciated.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Having never used a wiseco crank but have used their other products with great success I wouldn't hesitate to try it. Their pistons and connecting rods have never given me a problem, I trust their workmanship and quality control. I would check the runout though on any crank when I recieve it because of shipping , I had an OEM crank delivered that was .005" out and the box it came in was mangled .

Just because it is aftermarket doesn't mean it is bad and occasionally just because it is original doesn't mean it is good.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
ive seen one of these cranks, i put one in a friends 2000 yz144 and was very impressed by them- very well packaged also, its still running (this dude has a habit of blowing things up) i think he has several races on it now. i only buy OEM engine parts when wiseco dont make em!:)

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
while you have the cases split be sure to also replace all of the other bearings and seals, the one you miss will always cause you a problem, with all that new you will have a close to zero time motor as a poor man can get short of buying a new bike

Top Bottom