greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Hey Guys,
I have an ' 00 CR250 and the lower shock needle bearings are beginning to have some "up and down" play in them.
All the needles are still there and it is lubed up pretty well. Nothing seems to be broken either.
If I need to replace anything ....do you just buy new needles or do you have to press out the whole joint ??? This bearing set is actually on the linkage but lower shock mount passes through it.
Any pointers or advice from fellow owners or guys that have cured this problem will be appreciated.

Thanks ,
Donnie

xtreme73

Mar 17, 2002
You might as well replace the other linkage bearings while you're at it. You'll need new bearings and seals, they aren't that expensive. You just press the old ones out and press the new ones in. Any kind of press makes this sooo much easier. Have you checked your swingarm bearings lately?

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
The replacement needles usually come in a kit with race and seals so I would press out the old bearings and replace everything. My shock bearings fell apart when I tried to clean them so I just replaced them along with the swingarm bearings. Check out this thread. <click here>

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
On the CR250, get the upper shock bearing and install it in the lower shock bearing spot. The CR250's lower shock needle bearing is notorious for wearing out, and the heim bearing design used on the upper shock mount is superior IMO. Many others have done this to their CR250s as well. It also works on 125s.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Good idea, Mr. Bomb !!!
So just press out the old bearing race and press in the new heim joint bearing ??? Sounds like a plan.
Any ideas what happened to the old bearing: is the race out of round or what causes them to fail ?? I lubed all bearings and retorqued every thing in the rear at least 6 or 7 times in 2 years.

Thanks for the scoop,
Donnie

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
IMO, the lower shock bearing just seems more vulnerable to moisture and mud from riding & pressure washing than the other bearings. Maybe it is undersize for the job, too. Whatever the reason, all the other suspension bearings last much longer on the CR.

SiCnTwIsTdYz

Apr 10, 2002
replace the other linkage bearings as a set too, i was doing my linkage on my 2000 yz125 and i was cleaning the lower shock needle bearing and it fell apart on me cause the bearing was so dry and had so much crap in it

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
buzzbomb,
I just finished reassembling the bike with the top shock bearing in the bottom. It fit real tight and doesn't move very well .......maybe with some use it will free up. The guy sent me the dust seals for the top as well, one is slightly smaller than the other ( outside diameter) . It came with a wire clip also, so the top bearing must only come out one way , not like the bottom needle bearing race. I still have just a little slack in the rear , but is probably normal. No matter what , I will not replace this upgrade to the rear end.

See ya

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
That's wierd. We did this mod on a CR250 owned by an employee at my dad's job and had no problem. Others on DRN have done this as well, and that's where I first got the idea. BTW, when you say its really tight, do you mean that the suspension doesn't move up and down like it should? Or jus that the bolt fits in tightly?

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Tight , as in the heim joint doesn't move as freely as it did before being pressed in, and not near as loose as the top one. The suspension works and once I test ride it I am sure I'll be happy. I just wanted to give an update on some of the ins and outs.......like order 2 of the larger size seals for the top bearing, because the top one has a smaller one and a larger one !!!!

See ya

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
Oh alright. As long as it works, you'll be fine, IMO. BTW about the seals, we just usd the ones from the previous bearing because they were still in good condition. It's worked so far. Good luck!

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
There is a reason why Honda switched to needle bearings on the lower shock pivot. Needle bearings allow to control the torsional movement caused by the spring and prevent the lower shock bracket to rub on the shock arm assembly. Take a look at older CRs with a heim joint. You notice the shock arm is worn where the lower shock bolt holds it, and sometimes its bad enough that the heim joint seals won't hold because there is not enough aluminum left to hold it. I know the needle bearing is only a half fix because it is toast after a year no mather how often you grease it. But If you change that needle bearing every year, you might see an advantage in the shock arm longevity.

greaser

Mar 7, 2002
Thanks for the opposite opinion.
I will keep that in mind on my next bike, but on this one I ain't gonna press it back out. I also plan on upgrading to a newer bike at the end of the year.

See ya

Top Bottom