Lower shock heim bearing on newer KTMs

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
What is everyone using for lower shock heim bearing replacement on the newer KTMs? I have an ’01 KTM 300 MXC and I noticed that my lower shock bearing has finally developed some play and needs replacing. Any suggestions on the best spots to purchase replacement bearings and how tough is removal of the old bearing and installation of the new? Thanks in advance for any input.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Bob I have an 01 250 EXC and went through the same thing about 2 months ago. I decided to give Rob (KABOOM on KTM Talk board) and his new heim joint bearing a try. It is a polymer material that is supposed to outlast the OEM bearing. You can see it and read more at http://www.cbmotox.com/ .

The installation was fairly straightforward but the old Heim bearing was stuck in there pretty good. After I realized it was not going to come out easily I took the swingarm off and put it in a plastic bag and put the whole thing in the deepfreeze. YUP the freezer. This allowed the metals to contract and it came out relatively easy after that. The "F" bushing is a 2 peice replacement and the install was very easy. Got the 2 halfs together and used a bolt and 2 fender washers and a nut and tightend them to seat it and pull it together.

It has well over 300 trail miles and shows no sign of wear yet. Time will tell how well it holds up. 

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Bob

Do a search here on DRN for Heim Bearing - about a year ago or so ago there was a couple of threads on this topic.  From that i decided to go with one from a place out of Chicago area...Hirschman Engineering or some such name (I dont recall specifics now....)  Mine has held up quite well.  Very cost effective as well as this unit was around $20 or so VS OEM at more than double  (though i recall seeing some mention that the price of the OEM units had gone down since then).

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Hey Bob,

I have used the Hirschman Engineering (847-419-9890, they are in Elgin) with good luck for the past couple of years. Thier Part # SC-16, this is a greasble one compared to the teflon coated on that KTM sells. Hirschman also sells the teflon coated one. Price is around $20.00, just for the Heim joint, you still have to buy seals and such.

I just saw that Enduro Engineering is selling a whole kit for $29.95, with seals and all. Check out http://www.enduroeng.com/item.asp?ItemID=103&Category=Suspension I haven't tried this one and not sure if it is a KTM hiem joint or someone elses, but for the price you can't go wrong. I will try when I need new one. Maybe someone has tried one and can respond.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Bob - The first thing is come down to Texas, then trade it in on the new GasGas300XC and break it in @ Muenster and that will solve the problem forever ;) ;) !

Bob Brooks

Jan 6, 2001
Ryan, thanks for the info. I think I’ll try the enduro engineering part. For the price, it certainly seems like the way to go. We’ll have to get together and ride sometime this winter. I’ll e-mail you.

Enduro-Nut…Roger, I’d love to be riding with you in Muenster right now. I bet it’s nice down there. If you still had your Gasser, I’d swap you for mine, although you probably wouldn’t want my orange rascal! If you got that new VOR, you’ll have to let us know how it is. I can’t wait to take it for a spin the next time I’m down there. Tell Brian and Jim we said hey.

Top Bottom