arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi - the forks and shock on my bike have been lowered by using spacers internally. Nothing drastic - it took about 10mm off the seat height. My question is does limiting the travel like this affect the suspension action/handling properties of the bike in any way? Is the limiter affecting the initial part of the travel, or the final part of it? I'm thinking of removing the spacers.

phoneman064

Apr 6, 2004
arjay said:
Hi - the forks and shock on my bike have been lowered by using spacers internally. Nothing drastic - it took about 10mm off the seat height. My question is does limiting the travel like this affect the suspension action/handling properties of the bike in any way? Is the limiter affecting the initial part of the travel, or the final part of it? I'm thinking of removing the spacers.

If done properly you will typically notice better handling in corners, etc... Lower to the ground. You might miss the travel when encountering ruts or successive whoops.

You didn't say what bike and you only mentioned what sounds like a shock travel limter. On a WP PDS Shock this reduction engages the secondary valve sooner and can require a revalve to negate the additional damping.

On the fork you would typically reduce it by 1" to cover a 10mm reduction in the rear. If you didn't shorten the spring then you will have excessive preload. So typically the limters affect the intial portion of travel.

-dave
fullcirclecycle

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Cheers Dave - the springs in the fork are original so there will be extra preload. I'm thinking of returning to the full length back and front to allow the orignal spec valving to work to full effect.

Top Bottom