Lowering Dritbike 2002 YZ 250 Results

jhuerta

Aug 1, 2006
I just wanted to comment on this topic because I had lots of questions on lowering my 2002 YZ 250 2 strk. Well I will begin with info about myself. I’m about 5’5” 160 pounds and this is my first dirt bike. I’m 32 and I love my bike. I got it used from some freestyle guy out in Riverside, CA. I had to do work on it to get it working correctly but it’s all cherry now. I had one big problem though. The bike was too tall for me. I really wasn’t a problem once I hit the rode but every time I went to Glamis I was scared to maneuver around people because the only way to get going was to give it lots a gas and take off. I couldn’t this around so many people and all this was due to the fact that I could not reach the ground. So I decided to lower my bike. I manage to find a lowering link; the only lowering for YZ I think by Mountain Motor Sports http://www.mountainmotorsports.biz/...214/1/0/1/lowering-linkyamaha-lower-link.aspx the link lower my bike about 2 inches. I grinded down the seat about 1.5 inches off the base of the seat. After all this I was able to tip pi toe on the ground, YEA! The task was complete. But there was one issue that was bothering me. I read on some postings that if the bike is lowered with a lowering link the bike will wobble and I might bottom out. These were the concern that I had. So I went for a test run out to Johnson Valley in CA near Apple Valley where there is a large dry lake miles and miles of flat packed dirt. I tested the bike by running it on 5 gear at full speed and no wobble what so ever. Nothing! (Note I had my suspension worked on before I lowered the bike because one of my front forks was dripping oil. So I did not adjust any of my suspension because if I didn’t like the lowering link I would put the OEM back and the bike would be back to normal. ) Now the next thing that I was worring about was the bottoming out. Well I hit a few jumps out on the sand dunes and lots of woops which I have never gone so fast on before. It so happen that at the camp site where I was staying their was a motocross racer guy and he took me out on some trails. So the entire time was playing catch-up and it was fun till the bike fell on my leg. But the important thing is no bottoming out. As a mater a fact I was amazed to see that the bike could handle woops at high speeds so easy. I had lots of fun riding with this guy. I usually ride with guys the own quads since I’m the only one from the bunch with a dirt bike. After all that riding I fell in love with my bike. My bike is the best bike in the world! hahahah. You get the point. So don’t be afraid to lower your bike. :cool: :nod:

Top Bottom