Lowering seat height on 200 exc

trailgoon

Mar 27, 2005
I am looking to purchase a 200 exc. Before I buy one though I want to know if I can lower the seat hight at all since I am vertically challanged (5' 0" 29" inseam). I read on the ktm sight that the seat height is about 36" I was wondering if that was with the dampaning all the way up. I like to ride trails a lot so my feet are down on the ground an awful lot.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
A good suspension shop can lower the bike (cutting springs, etc). I know for bikes with linkage a longer dog-bone can be used to lower the bike, don't know what you can do for a KTM though.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site :cool:

Start a new thread in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Where do you live?
What brand do you ride?
What kinds of terrain do you ride?

We will try and hook you up with some folks from your area.

As far as your question, I too am vertically challenged (although a bit taller) and own a 200 and a 400.

I have approached the issues from two different directions. On the 400 I modified the rear subframe. I cut the lower connection and raised the anchor points about 3/8 inch. The end result was that the modification lowered the seat about 1 inch.

On the 200 I sent the suspension out and had it shortened 1 inch and revalved for my weight and preferred riding. After getting the bike back together, I took the seat cover off and cut about 1 inch of foam off the top and put on a full gripper cover.

To cut the foam I marked a line down both sides of the foam and used a hacksaw blade to slice the foam similar to cutting a loaf of bread down to the line. Then I sliced the foam horizontally to remove the excess. A belt sander was used to smooth out the top of the foam before installing the new cover. A rasp could be used as well if you don't have a belt sander.

The 200 is clearly lower than the 400 and I prefer riding it in tight woods while I prefer the 400 in open desert because it has a stiffer suspension.

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

trailgoon

Mar 27, 2005
Thanx for the pointers. Will the subframe fix work on the 200? I am mostly looking at cheaper route of lowering the bike if I get one. I have to get a job and make a bit more money until I can get it though doesn't hurt to drool though.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Yes the subframe mod will work on the 200. If you mod the subframe and the seat you can get it about 2 1/2 inchs lower before your tailbone is riding on plastic.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You have to cut the subframe supports and have them rewelded (re-read Tony's post). If you don't have the skills or know someone that can do it for you. Don't try.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom