Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
How can i lower the seat height of my KX 250 without buying new suspension? I need to lower the seat about 2-3 inches. Thanks in advance for any information!

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Take off your sub frame and get a punch you need to loosen the lock collar's. keep the rear wheel off the ground. When you do this do 16 or so turn's of top collar and then bring the second one up. Then make the two tight. Turn the bottom one into the top. Then turn the spring and let the bike down the rear will sit lower. Keep doing this and then you need to move the fork's up. get the front wheel off the ground then loosen the pinch bolt's and slide the fork's up to compensate for the rear. Then tighten the pinch bolt's.
Good luck,
CRG

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by CRGuy
Take off your sub frame and get a punch you need to loosen the lock collar's. keep the rear wheel off the ground. When you do this do 16 or so turn's of top collar and then bring the second one up. Then make the two tight. Turn the bottom one into the top. Then turn the spring and let the bike down the rear will sit lower. Keep doing this and then you need to move the fork's up. get the front wheel off the ground then loosen the pinch bolt's and slide the fork's up to compensate for the rear. Then tighten the pinch bolt's.
Good luck,
CRG

A word on the advice given above...
Yes, you can lower the bike by reducing pre-load, but not 2-3 inches. Most manufacturers have a maximum and a minimum installed spring length specification. See what yours is.

Do go ahead and reduce the pre-load on the srpring to the maximum allowed distance specified by the manufacturer and see what it buys you. However, don't use a punch as crguy said to use... go ahead and spend the few $$$ for a spanner wrench and avoid damage to the shock and/or neighboring components.

If that doesn't work, you can have a local shop shorten the rear subframe a bit to effectively lower the seat without dramatic impact on bike/suspension setup.

-jeffd

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
Don't get the spanner's. Jeremy told me to use a punch becuase the spanner's damage the ear's. Put a piece of duct tape to cover the metal so you won't damage it.
good luck,
CRG

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
That will work too, I guess.

I just prefer the right tool for the job. The punch could slip off and bust something else though... (like a knuckle for instance).

Of course, YMMV.

-jeffd

PSYCHO DAVE

May 19, 2001
My question to you is, why do you want to lower the seat hight?
If you just want to get your feet to the ground, try removing some of the seat foam. I know that a KX dosen't have a lot to begin with. But you will be suprised what removing an inch or so will do. I wouldn't remove 3". try a little at a time. It may be all you need. And it won't cost you a dime. Just a little of your time.

Dave

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
I need to lower the seat height because i cannot reach the ground. If i stall the bike, or crash and there isnt something i could stand on, i cant kick the bike over. I have had to have a friend start it for me because i dont get the leverage needed to kick it. It i lower it enough to easly put a foot on the ground, i will be fine.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by PSYCHO DAVE
My question to you is, why do you want to lower the seat hight?
If you just want to get your feet to the ground, try removing some of the seat foam. I know that a KX dosen't have a lot to begin with. But you will be suprised what removing an inch or so will do. I wouldn't remove 3". try a little at a time. It may be all you need. And it won't cost you a dime. Just a little of your time.

Dave

That is a good trick and it will work too. The only cost is a little time to do the mod and a sore butt after you ride ;)

-jeffd

Top Bottom