Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Hi All,

I own an 01 RM 250. I am 5'8" tall and pretty much get by on tippy toes leaning the bike to one side when I have to come to a stop. I do a lot of woods riding and feel the height is a big disadvantage at times. The bigger guys look so at home, I'm a bit jealous. I have a strong hunch a lower height would give me a big difference.

I'm just kinda feeling this out, I know I could stay with things as they are, but what are the tried and true methods of lowering the bike and just as important, how much could I expect to spend on the mods that would get me there? I'm thinking maybe 2-3 inch reduction. I'm not a big jumper so maybe the travel isn't a big issue.

All suggestions Appreciated.

Thanks

Joe Chief

joeblack

Dec 21, 1999
Chief, at least you're not 5' 4", like me. I have had my 250f lowered 2 inches. I rode it like that for a couple of months and it worked fine. After riding a buddy's bike, I decided to return it to stock height. You see, it's not the jumps that affected my bike, but the small bumps and tree roots. Riding is much more comfortable now. If you do decide to do it, lowering your suspension should cost around $500. I can't touch the ground with both feet at the same time anymore. But, I'd rather have the comfort while the bike is moving than when the bike is still. Try these no cost mods: 1. shave your seat 2. set the rear sag to the maximum spec. 3. raise your forks. You may get around 2 inches closer to the ground!

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Joe,

Maybe your suggestions are just what I need. I know the seat reduction won't hurt, and I could always re-adjust the forks and shock if I don't like it. Thanks for the experience and suggestions.

Joe Chief

Top Bottom