robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Got tired of chasing my daughter while she was riding the Z50. (I still intend to keep it and to "push her" in the direction of 2 wheels as she gets older.

However, found a pretty good deal on an 01 LT80 and bought it for her. The seller said it was hard to start when cold. Boy is it. After much effort, I got it to start three different times and I even rode it up and down the strip mine road about 300 yards, but then it quit.

Initially I thought it was carb related, but we pulled the plug (which looks new and doesn't look rich) and checked the spark. Spark was VERY weak and inconsistent.

So what am I looking for to repair this? The only two things I know of are the plug wire and the ignition coil.

Any help would be appreciated - she didn't even get to ride it today because of the problems.

tom_yota

Mar 19, 2010
One quick easy thing to check is to look behind the stator cover.. If there's water, dirt, oil etc behind there the stator might not be sending a good signal.. It's not a real techincal fix, but something quick/free to look at..

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
tom_yota said:
One quick easy thing to check is to look behind the stator cover.. If there's water, dirt, oil etc behind there the stator might not be sending a good signal.. It's not a real techincal fix, but something quick/free to look at..

Thanks. I will check that. If that's not it, the next question is how to do the process of elimination. . ? How can I determine whether its the coil or the plug wire without buying the new parts?

Top Bottom