kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
First off I don't want to seem callous and cold, but the tragedy out at the Rock Pile over the weekend and the corresponding national news coverage and their portrayal of the event is just another nail in our coffin.

I can't imagine any Desert Racing Club wanting the liability of sanctioning an off road event ever again.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I can tell ya from experience, someone getting hurt at your event is bad enough; went through too much of that. I can't imagine people dying. Super bad deal for everyone.

My thoughts go to the families of those lost.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
This is going to hurt us big time. The enviro groups are all over it. They are calling for a federal investigation. :coocoo: Just what we need. :|

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
They're acting like these people had no idea they could be injured. Anyone with a grain of common sense can see how standing near the path of a friggen trophy truck hauling asss through the desert could be hazardous. Why the hell do you think they have roll cages on the trucks. It is a tragedy when people lose thier life and I feel for all the families and friends affected, but you can't look to place blame under these circumstances. It was an accident that EVERYONE knew was possible. It's just really unfortunate that Ol'89r is right, it's going to cause all sorts of government regulations that will probably kill the sport.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Stupid people. Reminds me of the rally car fans standing on the OUTSIDE of the corner while the cars are sliding around. Geez, how dumb can you be.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
After watching some of that video I was surprised that the truck that came right after the crash did not careen into the crowd of people.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I think this unfortunate tragedy will have consequences to offroad competition. I could see those wanting to stop offroad activities using this as a tool to make it happen. You got to have fences and barriers to protect the spectators but of course it will be economically unfeasible to do that and would be not allowed if it could be afforded. Never mind that off road desert motorcycle races have virtually no spectators...

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
I can assure you that mickey thompson rolled over in his grave last weekend.
God bless the families of those lost.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I can tell you it put a damper on the Vegas(Beatty) to Reno(Dayton) race. We have gone the last several years just to spectate at one or more pits near Tonapah, Nv. This year rules changes were made just prior to the first bikes leaving the start near Beatty, Nv.

A. All racers must come to a complete stop at the pit entrance and then 25mph to the other end of the pits.

B. No spectators without a 'press pass' outside of the pit boundries.

I realize why they made the rules but it sure stiffled the photo ops. :|

Top Bottom