Has anyone ridden here?
If so, what kind of riding is it.
(desert,hills,etc)...

Thanks for any replies.

------------------
99'KX 250

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Desert! Rocky! There is a really cool trail that will take you up towards the Big Bear area! Very tight single track trail, that is carved out of a VERY STEEP side slope! Very nice water crossing too!

I'm sure some of the local boyz can fill you in on more...

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Lots of whoops too. Very impressive volcanic rock formations and a few dry lakbeds. Plenty of diverse single-track and hill climbs. Transmission lines and major mountains make "dead-reckoning" pretty simple. Favorite staging area (with a short drive on a descent dirt road) is Cougar Buttes off Camp Rock Road, north of Highway 247. Entrance is directly under power transmission lines. Go soon, because it gets real hot in the summer.

------------------
Noscitur ex socio, qui non cognoscitur ex moto artem

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Cougar buttes is a great place to camp,I havent done alot of free riding out there but have raced out there a few times and the riding seems pretty good.I would like to find that single track to big bear.

------------------

sirhk100

Feb 8, 2001
I think Lucerne Valley is close to Johnson Valley north of Yucca. If this is the same area I know Johnson Valley is open desert. Lots of whoops from various races held out there. Like mentioned above, there are trails that can be ridden up to Big Bear. I personally have never done one but actually I'm meeting up with a guy to do one this Sat. Johnson Valley has a huge dry lake bed that is scattered with WWII era bomb craters. These look like huge bowls ranging in 10' to 75' in diameter and from 3'-10' deep. Some of them can be linked together to make a rythem section of table tops. Really fun stuff in that lake bed and guarenteed to be different then anything you've ridden unless you normally ride in bombing ranges. All of these holes have been heavily ridden so I think any unexploded bombs would have already done their thing but I guess there is still a possiblity. (but then again you could get struck by lightening too!) Just about 5 minutes from this lake bed is a huge sand dune on the backside of a mountain that has a pretty large bowl in the bottom of it. about 15 minutes from the lake bed there is also a small area with some dunes that are probably 50' high. It's basically about 7 of them in a row just out in the middle of nowhere. If you're interested in directions email me and I'll get the actual dirt road name to turn on this weekend while I'm out there. I honestly don't know it off the top of my head, I just know where to turn.

------------------
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Khris

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Brett,

If you get a trail map of the Big Bear area it should show this loop. We were camped very close to Big Bear. I remember that we started in the Big Bear area and rode east along the ridge, then dropped down in to Lucerne Valley. I do remember riding on a dirt road with power lines. From there we started south up into the single track. The river crossing was deep, had to carry the bikes across, and there was some big boulders in the creek!! I wish I could remember more :mad: The single track trails was NOT for the faint hearted!! Very steep and narrow path that was carved out of the hillside!! Keep in mind this was 1997 when I rode there last....
I will look for the trail map tonight when I get home....

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Brett,

Found the trail map. It is the San Bernadio National Forest, Pinnacles to Big Pine Flat map.

We started out at Crab Flat campground.

• Followed trail 3N16 to 3N93 and then on to 3N14 Big Pine Flat
  • There is an intercetion where 3N14, 3N16 & 3N11 come together, made a right turn and then followed that to 3N11 to 3N17. Once you get to 3N17 make a left and follow that to (Horse Springs)
  • From 3N14 followed to 3N59, whcih turns into 2W01 (Devils Hole) That is where you cross Holcomb Creek.
  • Follow 3N34D to 3N34 and back to Crab Flat camp ground!

I did that ride on my YZWRA 250 with a 4+ gallon tank! On of the best rides I'd ever been on!!
Give it a try sometime!
Sorry of the long directions.....

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Mr wr,
Thanks i am going to find a map,I think the trail to Devils hole may be closed,but im not sure.That sounds like a great ride.

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
The "local yokels" call that the "super loop". It's one of my favorite rides (3N10 aka John Bull is a must ride too). Unfortunately, the Devils Hole and area north of Big Pine is still closed from the fire. Locals think the forestry may open it this summer. There's a couple ways down the east side of Big Bear, but much of the single track is pretty tough going up, darn scary going down (both wheels locked/rock dodging E-ticket rides). BTW, I expect this spring to be one of the nicest given all the snowpack.

------------------

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
mtngoat,
I worked for Volkl and raced the bear mtn tuesday races and the fri night snow summit series,i knew a bunch of the locals,mostly people that worked for the race dpt or worked on the mountain.I spent more time up there than i did at home for a couple years.

------------------

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Hi brett,
cool job; where do I apply? One of my riding buddies (Dale) did the Summit races on Friday nights last winter. As good as the snow was this winter, I didn't ski at all. Been "winter-riding" in Lucerne and east of the lake towards Yucca. Planning to go Sat morning, following 2N01 into a new area we found. Hope to hook-up sometime.

------------------

Top Bottom