yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
{Stolen from Transworld Motocross}

Musical Chairs: Lusk to Kawasaki

Saturday June 16, 2001

Reports from sources close to the involved parties report that former Eastern Region 125cc SX Champion Ezra Lusk has signed to compete as a member of Team Kawasaki in the 2002 season.

The industry has been a buzz for several weeks now about Ricky Carmichael's rumored departure to Team Honda, but no one at Honda, Kawasaki or the Carmichael camp will confirm or deny the rumors. With Lusk's reported departure from the Red Rider squad and relocation with Team Green, it looks likely that RC will, indeed, fly the Honda wing in '02.

Lusk surprised many with his consistently strong finishes throughout the '01 SX season, but his injury free season ended when he suffered a broken ankle at the Hangtown 250cc National. Since then, Lusk's hasn't been up to par, but he remains one of the most talented and determined riders on the pro circuit.

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
It will be quite hard for me to root for Lusk on a green bike. How weird will it be for to good friends like RC and Lusk to switch rides? Are they going to be giving each other set-up tips?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Makes it that much easier for me to root against Lusk!:p

I've never really liked the guy, always seems like an accident waiting to happen. I guess he has some talent, though. I think this will make him the only guy to ride for all 4 Japanese factories. Just a tad too cocky for me, and doesn't seem to be able to back it up as well any more.

Maybe on the green bikes he'll have a little of the winning ways he had on the blue ones . . .:think

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Originally posted by XRpredator

I think this will make him the only guy to ride for all 4 Japanese factories.

LaRocco has ridden for Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawie factories. His current Honda ride is almost factory. Can't think of any others that have raced all 4 Japanese brands in the nationals.

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
i thought lusk was supposed to go to team suzuki and carmichael was going to factory honda, i think that carmichael should kinda go because it will give honda a good chance at looking at a good title with carichael piloting the cr250 or crf450, lusk i dunno he';s been down he had bad seasons since the 99 season, he was no big threat to carmichael in 00 and 01 well see this up coming 02 season

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I don't know who's going where, but it seems Lusk is improving daily. The only thing holding him back, besides his occasional wild get offs, is his bike. Funny, I thought I heard him say something like he's got a "red" bike, referring to it from a power standpoint, as superior to others in the 250 class--and I felt like he was mainly aiming that at Kawasaki. Recently, looks like his bike is breaking every other race. I personally would love to see Carmichael go red (though I absolutely am convinced he will not--all a big side show) and do "so-so", whilst Lusk going to Kawasaki and kicking ass. :p

Can't blame Honda; they've done absolutely nothing lately, while Kawasaki/Team Green has been killing WORCS/GNCC/Hare & Hounds (Destry), 250 Supercross/Nationals (Ricky), and Brown looks good in the 125's (leader on a Suzuki). The only reason they haven't dominated BAJA lately is because, like Team Oreca in the American LeMans series (Vipers)--they pulled out several years ago because they had nothing else to prove.

I like all the bikes, and have had all brands (except KTM). But Kawasaki sure is looking good right now.

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
[sup, which brand do you like that you had, i had 2 suzuki's and i had a yz80 and now i have a yz125, and i can say i like my yami's over the suzuki's i had but my bro has a cr125 i like his bike too, in stock form i iddnt like it cause it was lacking lots of low-end and mid and it was too peaky, so we woke it up dropped 2 teeth on the rear sprocket went from a 52 to a 50 and gave it a pro circuit pipe, now i can say his bike rips, i dunno about th kawi's though ,i might actually be considering to get one in th future, i had their jet ski's and they are by far the best what woiuld you say?

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
I don't know who's going where, but it seems Lusk is improving daily. The only thing holding him back, besides his occasional wild get offs, is his bike. Funny, I thought I heard him say something like he's got a "red" bike, referring to it from a power standpoint, as superior to others in the 250 class--and I felt like he was mainly aiming that at Kawasaki. Recently, looks like his bike is breaking every other race.

Actually Lusk has been held back in the Nationals because hes riding on a broken ankle. Definitely showing some toughness and now I'm hearing that Honda wants to keep Lusk on the team as well. I'm not sure where the room is but Honda "could" have a great team next year.

Originally posted by nephron
The only reason they haven't dominated BAJA lately is because, like Team Oreca in the American LeMans series (Vipers)--they pulled out several years ago because they had nothing else to prove.

Kawasaki pulled out of Baja racing because of the hazards involved in it and the unfortunate death of Danny Hamel, not because of there domination of the races.

Duneman

~SPONSOR~
Jun 16, 1999
I am so exited that rc is going to honda, I love hondas but hate the way honda puts pressure on there riders. he is a fool to go to honda right after winning his 1st sx championship. I now honda wants to have a championship really bad but they also want to beat MC. rc going to honda will light a fire under MC's butt, cause he will want to beat honda more than anything. and I think Yogi will do better on a Kawi cause they are more forgiving, and that wil suit his riding stile. well that's my 2 cents anyway.;)

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
yeah id like to see RC go to team factory honda too, they need a championship, i thought lusk was going to factory suzuki? where di you guys get that he is going to kawi? i heard e was going to team suzuki from dirt rider

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I didn't make it up, but I also can't remember where I read it.

Makes things interesting, though, doesn't it?:think

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
Lusk is wearing out his welcome at alot of places. Suz wasn't happy with him when he left. He signed with Honda 1/2 way through 98 (or was it 97?) when riding Yamaha and was glad to tell the world about it. I'm sure that Yamaha enjoyed that. Honda has been dumping alot of effort into him and he hasn't produced but a few wins in between get-offs. That only leaves Kaw.

If Carmichel does go to Honda, I believe to respect Kawasaki, he will wait to the end of the season to tell the world.

crlady

Jan 6, 2001
Lusk fan

Well I guess I'd better post my thoughts on this subject since I am a huge Lusk fan. First of all Osheen, Lusk did not leave Yamaha 1/2 through the 98 season. He started the 98 season with Honda. I saw him that year race in Indianapolis. Lusk has also been only one of three riders to beat MC in the last few years (along with Emig and RC)
:silly:
I have been a Lusk fan since 98 and hope that no matter where he goes next year he will be happy. I would like to see him stay with Honda, but on the other hand he would probably do better somewhere else. The Honda team (minus Lusk) has never been very friendly to us in the pits. They seem so stuck up. (Matter of opinion only)
Also, on a final note, MC has already signed with Yamaha for next year. Check out Nacnac.com for details. He will also be signing some new team-mates for 250 only. Rumor has it to be Fonseca.
Check out my site: http://www.members.nbci.com/cr250r19/index.html

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
MC

MC has ridden 4 all 4 japanese companies, Kawie in the 125's, then honda, then suzuki for 97, then yamahas for there on out. I dont believe the rumor of MC going to Kawi, he is expressing much desire to reclaim his SX title, and he states this year he was distracted with running operations of his new team that he probably didnt prepare himself until too late ... Now he knows what he needs to do, and if RC does indeed RIDE RED, then MC knows he has the advantage on a bike he has ridden 4 years now, whereas RC has to adjust to the Honda....
*** I cant see RC going to honda even tho it looks true. Team chevy trucks has built a lot of backing into him and Kawi has been noted that they will match whatever offer given to him. I agree with the earlier post, it would seem foolish to jump over without defending your title on the bike you recently won it on. He has ridden Kawis the whole time, and if the money is right, why switch? He just inked a large deal to 2006 with FOX. And since Lusk and him are good riding friends, Why wouldnt he stay to ride with him for a 3 man team on Kawi, or maybe they plan on dropping RonRon.
.. No matter what, Controversy is abundant, and it is hard to tell what is rumors or not. I read somewhere that RC inked that Honda deal at Las Vegas on the final supercross race, but has anything come out? No. RC seems to pretty set in his ways, for example, running his #4 plate instead of the #1 plate, his reason that is what people associate him with, and he has been riding kawis as well. I would be very surprised if He goes to Honda, Plus Tortelli is there, no, that doesnt matter, it was Villimen that he said last year that he dislikes. Oh well. just some thoughts...:think

zcookie49

Seven OUT!
Dec 21, 2000
CR lady is correct

That is where i saw that MC is with Yamaha, on his site. And Fonseca has acknowledged that he was approached about going to MC's team next year, apparently it will be 2 riders....I think Ernie is 'pointed' out.

osheen

Feb 27, 2000
crlady-
I didn't say that Lusk SWITCHED to Honda 1/2 way through 98 (i guess it was 97). I said that he SIGNED with Honda for the following year and told the world so during an interview at a race. I don't think it is wise to publicly anounce that you are jumping ship until after the season has ended. It is disrespectful to your current team.
Like I said, he had some wins and was/is capable, but his crashes prevented any consistency that would get Honda the title(s) that they were hoping for.

Buzz Bomb

May 9, 2000
I don't think MC is going anywhere...

Didn't he just recently start his own team, Mazda Yamaha I believe? I don't think he would switch companies after forming his own team.:think

MoToMaNYz125

Apr 2, 2001
Re: I don't think MC is going anywhere...

MC? i didnt hear hi doing anything neither or retirig like everyone said, but Rc i heard signed a contract with honda, and lusk is supposovly going to team suzuki, i dnno i think honda does need a championship, although tortelli is fighting back in the nationas we'll have to see

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
RC IS going to Honda and Lusk to Kawasaki are done deals from what I've heard. Also Honda is adding Nate Ramsey to race the CRF450. I also heard that Honda has offered Michael Byrne a 125 ride. Mike Brown although he has signed a letter of intent with Kawasaki to ride again for Splitfire may be getting some offers from KTM. Also Steve Boniface, who is racing this year for Factory Connection Honda (With Larrocco) is signed up with Factory KTM next year, along with Sellards who re-signed and Langston. There is lots of news out there, you just gotta wade through it.

Last edited by a moderator:

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
IDkTm: "RC IS going to Honda and Lusk to Kawasaki are done deals from what I've heard. "

No matter what people think or hear, the deal has not been done. See the August issue of Transworld Motocross--Carmichael interview. He was asked directlly whether he's going to Honda, and details of the inside "warfare" and how it's affecting Team Kawasaki. Ricky's answer was very vague, stating something like he'll be on the bike that gives him the best chance of winning. My personal opinion is that he's dragging this out and hasn't given anybody a final decision, thereby increasing his bargaining value. I personally doubt he'll leave Kaw, but that' s just my opinion and nobody knows for sure. Speculation is just speculation--we'll just have to wait and see. For now, he's smoking team Red, for whatever reason.

Top Bottom