Machinery?

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Any good websites to check out machinery? I have looked at Enco, Smithy, etc,,,any other good ones? Any recommendations for a good 3-in1 machine for under $1k? Anyone, Bueller?

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
What are you talking about?

A three in one machine for under a grand?

More info.......What are you looking for?

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
A 3-in-1 machine, like a lathe, mill, drill,,,I have seen some of them for around $1k or so. Just looking to start a thread on machinery for turning cylinder heads and bases, etc,,,Do you know of any good ones?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Enco

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Eric has a Smithy in his shop and it has served him well over the years. I believe MACE bought one as well so you might want to PM him and ask about his experiences with it.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Hi JMAN,
The under 1K machines don't have much power. Save your money for the Smithy 1324 Granite, its under $3,000 with tooling kits. These are the tasks that I use my Smithy for;
Lathe side
1) Turning single cylinder heads of 2-strokes
2) Turning cylinder tops or bases
3) Making exhaust valve parts like bushings and such
4) Radiusing carb air-bells
5) Cutting 0-ring grooves in cylinders
Mill side
1) Boring holes in crankshafts (balance and pin holes)
2) Boring crankcases for rod clearance on stroker cranks
3) Boring bearing pockets that have been welded (crankcases, hubs, etc.)
4) Enlarging combustion chambers and squishbands for siamese twin two-stroke heads (snowmobiles, watercraft)
5) Facing heads and crankcases

Smithy also offers a 2 axis CNC kit for this model for under $2,000, that is if you're really ambitious :yeehaw:

Jman271

~SPONSOR~
Oct 18, 2001
Thanks fellas, I would probably only be doing mostly lathe work w/ two-stroke heads and cylinders, etc,,,the Granite sounds like the best deal. That is really cool if it comes w/ the tooling starter kit, b/c all those little goodies add up after a while. Rich, thanks for the ingo, I will pm MACE about his machine. Thanks again,,,

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If all you need is a lathe, Jet makes an excellent 9x20 version with a simple tooling kit for under $1000 US. I've had mine for a while now and have been very happy with it.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
This is a GREAT time to buy used machine tools.
A little more $$ will buy a lot MORE machine tool.
Shop your local auction houses for some bitchin' deals.
Just a thought...

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
SFO,
I used to get a flyer occasionally listing sales and such on machine tool.
Do you get anything like that? If so shoot me the name of it, I would like to get back on the mailing list of one.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Jaybird,
Here is one that is into bigger equipment but has some interesting stuff.

http://industrialgroup.com/

here is a standard auction house like the flyers you are reffering to.

http://www.mredsauction.com/

I have seen people buying series 2 bridgeports that are in great condition for 2500$. These machines were selling used for 15K just a few years ago.

It is a buyers market and smart money could buy a GREAT machine tool.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…