BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
With 10 days till departure for DW01, the Mamba is DEAD!:( I was putting in some practice time, went into a uphill, square-off corner and kapoot. When I started to kick the KX, I heard the tell-tail signs of a bad rod bearing.
I will start the Mad Scramble Tuesday for parts and begin tearing the bike down tomorrow night. Eric, get ready to Overnight some top end parts to Oklahoma.

I WILL NOT MISS DW01 unless I'm dead, incarcerated, or in I.C.U.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Those big pistons are tougher on cranks, I tink! I had a 300 RM and always wondered when it was gonna go...not sure if it is still alive or not (sold it)

Anyway, it's fun to have that much torque, eh? I'm confident you will find a way to make it work by spodefest.

See you there!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You killed the Mamba!?
Good luck getting it back together!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You killed the Mamba!?

Why is it that, just before something catastrophic happens, everthing is perfect. No indications of anything prior to this meltdown.
PS. Okie the manual arrived Saturday! In the nick of time.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Bswift,
Let me know if I need to come down next weekend, I can hand you wrenches kinda like a nurse in an operating room.

Jun 27, 2000
Good luck take your time don't get in tooo big of a hurry. Bad things happen when your in a hurry. Ever get the head on and wonder did i get that big pipe wrench off the top of the piston or some other tool? I have left a rag stuck in my air box one time. Man got in a hurry. It sucked it all the way into the carb. Man I felt dumb... Good luck getting the beast back together.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Bswift,

Hope you get it together in time! Wait what am i saying, you will get it together in time. I do know what you mean, mines still not back together. Of course its my fault for being lazy. I only ripped it apart last October. Just got the motor back today and the back wheel on last night. As you can see i atleast got the DRN fender stickers on! :cool:

1000013010_9102001120002PM0.1373712.jpg

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I was in the same boat until Friday night about 9:00pm. FINALLY got the Montesa to live again, now to get both bikes prepped and hope the VP man comes through.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
& I thought I was in trouble becuase I haven't sorted out the jetting of my new carb yet.......

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Thanks guys!

My biggest concern is parts. I haven't heard back from Eric yet (probably that Monday off deal). I'm not sure if I need to get a factory rod or an aftermarket. I'm not sure if the Crank was rebuilt with the big-bore kit or is stock. Piston, rings, caskets can all be received from Eric via UPS Red. I just looked at the book and I have a means to split the cases, I have an impact and I have done a 78 YZ 250, 20 years ago.
The next factor is money. My local mechanic can do the work and have it done (depending on parts availability) by Friday. Leaving Saturday to install and break in the motor. However, that's $500! I've already had to pay myself for the days off of work plus the trip expenses, so this REALLY bites.
Next there is the option of ME and everyone at DRN helping me do the rebuild. I like this idea except, I may not be able to be at home every evening to do the work and in the day time may have difficulty running down parts or receiving parts via UPS.
So......I guess it is time to flip a coin. Should I go best two of three or three out of five?
I'm disgusted!:scream: :eek:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
If its the weekend before you get the parts just plan on putting it together Saturday and Sunday. I think we could do it.:eek:
I really do. Hope your dad is doing well.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
It's STOCK.

Thanks Okie. First good news today.

HAzE

Uhhh...
Dec 29, 2000
:)

A kx310? I got my parts from hi-persports.com, my tank that is. And I did it over night, when they got the tank, they got me the tank around 12 the next day. Since it had to goto their shop, and then be shipped from there. I bet you should be able to do it. My dad and my sisters boyfriend did his topend on his 94 cr125, the day before we left for croom. The local shop had the parts on hand, but yours is a bigbore. I guess that's not possiable? I wish I could go, later.

Top Bottom