Magic button saves the day!!

Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I decided to go out an do some motocross this weekend to get ready for the upcoming District 23 off-road season. After riding an 400 SX last year I was curious how my new MXC would work on the moto track. The race was at a really hilly natural terrain motocross track in western ND with some pretty big jumps up and down the hills. I would bottom the forks at least a couple times a lap, but the bike was very stable and track through the roughest of sections perfect.

Before the race I considered taking out the battery to shave off some weight, thinking the E-start was not necesary. I left it in because of lack of time to do the job. During the first moto I was running 3rd with three guys breathing down my neck when I lost the front end in a muddy corner. The bike stalled but I was able to pick the bike up, start it before it was upright, and take off before loosing a position. Without the BUTTON I would have dropped at least 3 spots trying to find neutral and fire it back up. The magic button saved the day, I was able to finish the moto in third and take 4th overall for the day.

IMO the MXC (or EXC) is very capable for motocross. I am running the clickers 5 clicks out but am running stock springs and oil heights. I weigh 180 w/ gear and race 250 Intermediate.

As far as the E-start goes, I will never be without it again. I may purchase an SX in the future, but It will be equiped with the E-start kit. I had the opportunity to ride my MXC back to back with last years SX on a moto track. I was not able to tell the weight difference between the two. I have my MXC set up with an SX tank and seat so they both had the same ergonomics. For those of you buying SX's to save weight, your loosing out. I have been there and thought the RFS's started so good you didn't need the button. I stand corrected, the button is the only way to go, I only wish I would have listened earlier.

Coach

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
That's awsome. Makes me want to go out and buy an e-start bike (wait...I have no money). Does the battery power ever wear down?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Thanks for the post, Coach. Very interesting coming from a former SX owner. That magic button has saved me so many times that I would never do without it, either.

yzeater,
No, the battery never runs down unless you install the optional radiator fan and, even then, it takes the fan running a lot to drain the battery. Oh, it can run down a bit if you use it to start the bike when it'd cold, like 15-20f and below. It's best to kickstart the bike when it's that cold. Or at least that's my experience.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…