Yz125Rider13

Sep 1, 2003
I was just wondering if purchasing a magnetic oil drain bolt for a 2001 yz 125 would make any impact on the bike. (as far as keeping it nice, and keping it running good) If anyone could give me any backround information about these bolts, that'd be great. Thanks

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I've had a magnetic oil drain bolt since day 1 on my bike. I change oil frequently, and every time there's a small grouping of metal fragments clinging to the magnet (about 1/2 the size of a pencil eraser).

Cheap insurance.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
it probably does work best when you buy it when the bike is new i'd think. lots of wear on break in im sure. I have one, i'm lucky i had it cause my old stock plug was stripping out on me, and moose drain plugs are larger so you can get a good grip on them. why not get one no more than they cost..

Formula

Sep 21, 2000
I bought my 99 YZ250 used this spring. I went to change the oil and the bolt was on their so tight I thought the actual case was going to shear. Anyways I got the bolt off and decided to get a less mangled magnetic one from a local auto store. They did not have the right thread pitch so I bought a new genuine Yamaha one for under $2.50 Canadian. I decided to make my own magnetic plug. So I went back to the auto store and bought a magnetic bolt that was closest in size to the Yamaha one (about $4 CDN). I pulled the little magnetic rod out of it and got the appropriate drill bit and drilled a hole in my new Yamaha bolt. The hole I drilled was just sized enough so that I had to push the magnetic rod in there with a bit of force. It has worked flawlessly since I did that, and on every oil change there has been small debris and iron paste on the magnet (Especially after the first oil change with it in). I firmly believe in having one on any engine with an oil plug. All those particles get cleaned out each oil change and don’t get a chance to run through the open bearings in your tranny.
I even put 2 powerful hard drive magnets on both my vehicles oil filters to catch what they can as oil passes through as well as magnetic drain plugs. These are from older large hard drives and the magnets are actually dangerous to handle since you will pinch skin easily if the two get to close to each other and leave you with a blood blister. Any old or current hard drive will have powerful rare earth magnets in them. I would post pics but I am not near my bike right now.

fuzzy

~SPONSOR~
Jul 26, 2002
I even put 2 powerful hard drive magnets on both my vehicles oil filters to catch what they can as oil passes through
Ingenious! I've got a couple full size 2gb SCSI's out in a box. Good excuse to have some fun with the dead-blow! :)

Top Bottom