MAICO RIDER

Nov 24, 2003
Eric, would it be worthwhile to have my motor ported? I run hare scrambles in Florida with a 39mm stock flatslide Keihin , v-force reed block assembly, with race gas. Looking for more mid and top end. Thanks in advance.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I see that no one has answered, probably due to the rarity of that engine.

I believe that modern porting software and techniques could assist such an old engine. However I am not in the know with regard to that engine. From what I have read, Maico did a good job in providing a wide torque curve without a powervalve.

I ran a 490 Yamaha 20 years ago, lets see if I can remember what the specs were. I believe the exhaust port duration was 194+ degrees, the transfer duration was near 134 and exhaust port width was set at 68% of bore width. In addition, the exhaust port had the classic bread loaf shape that worked so well to allow enough port time*area while still maintaining piston and ring support. I remember it to be a upper midrange monster.

Chris

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tom - I talked to Eric about this on Saturday and he had a number of suggestions on ways to improve the Maico. I thought he had already replyed, but I'll follow up with him and ask him to give you his thoughts.

Top Bottom