Maier mx style rear fender review

dirtpoor

Feb 19, 2005
I just installed a Maier mx style rear fender on a 2004 kdx200 and I must say it looks sweeeeet!! The color is a perfect match or as near perfect as you can get. Glossy too. Fit like a glove. Cut the spacers to about 2/3 original thickness to lower fender slightly. Also cut 1.25" off of the metal tubes that extend past the cross plate and reinstalled the black plastic plugs so they wouldn't show. The maier mx fender weighs 1 lb. 4 oz. less than stock with tool bag that you're always catching your foot on. Also removed the bark busters. Another 7 oz. weight savings!!! Really starting look like a dirt bike without the cute little black purse!! (my 98 had a purple bag that I removed- how queer is that :rotfl: ). May put mx style front # plate on.

ScottZJ

Aug 17, 2004
I have a number plate and MX rear fender for my KDX but I havent put it on yet. Just wondering when or if I should, as I like to ride at dusk alot of times and a light helps.

XNAGEX

Mar 8, 2005
ScottZJ said:
I have a number plate and MX rear fender for my KDX but I havent put it on yet. Just wondering when or if I should, as I like to ride at dusk alot of times and a light helps.

I say you should leave the headlight on and put the mx rear fender on.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
if u change the front fender, put the new KX one on... 03/up. Bolts right on with the exception of drilling the holes a little bigger for the metal washers.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Hey, be nice. I re-mounted my cute little black purse on my Maier MX fender! Of course, I dual sport my bike and needed a place for some extra tools along with registration and insurance stuff. And it comes off when it's MX time.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
While installing the rear fender, were there any modifications required in re-installing the side panels? For some reason, the right side panlel doesnt seem to line up with mounting holes any more

04kdx200

Mar 30, 2005
Does any of the plastic line up after dis-assembly? The front fender has been the only plastic to fit right after I removed it due to painting,cleaning,greasing,etc.....

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I had to trim about 1/8" off the back edge of the right side panel to get it to fit again. No big deal. All my plastic fit back on fine other than that, it's all been off and on a few times now.

yz250flash

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 2003
dirtpoor - Would you be interest in getting rid of your little black bag? Or complete rear fender for that matter? I have a '96 with all the purple on it that I am trying to convert to black. I am also updating the plastics since mine are a little faded.

Jan 16, 2005
Hey! I keep my little "black purse" in my hydration pack, it's perfect for the plug wrench, plugs and some other needed items...I got lost at dusk once, and was very glad for my headlight too.

Top Bottom