Bluesmoke250

Apr 10, 2009
I need your help, suggestions or tricks for removeing the main bearings on a 2001 yz 250 they are the original bearings. I have tried heat as well as pounding on them. The dealers tech told me to heat them and they sould pound right out. This did not work for me I am thinking a bearing puller is going to be the only way any help is appriciated.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
you shouldn't heat the bearing, but the cases..

last time I pulled bearings from a case, I just heated my oven in the kitchen to 250 and put the case in for 15 minutes..

Then took it out and used a hammer and large socket. Dropped right out.

Remember to use leather gloves or hot pad, the case will be quite warm when you take it out of the oven.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Put some wood under the case and knock it out like Indy said. You did take the seals out first? Check it that it stays square. The outer race drives better than the inner race, really big socket. Getting them off the crank is another matter.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
There's an inexpensive tool that can be had to remove them from the crank..

Might even be able to borrow one from Autozone..

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Bluesmoke250 said:
I have tried heat as well as pounding on them. The dealers tech told me to heat them and they sould pound right out. This did not work for me .

You didn't get the cases hot enough. Do like Indy said and heat them in an oven or take a large torch and heat them in a circular motion until you can sizzle a drop of water on them. If you use a torch, start at a point furthest away from the bearing and using a circular motion, heat the cases, working the torch inward towards the bearing so the bearing is the last thing to receive the heat. DON'T hold the torch in any one spot for any length of time. Aluminum melts at a very low temp.

If you get them hot enough the bearing should drop out or only take a light tap with a deep socket and hammer.

Install them the same way. Use a socket or driver that fits the outside diameter of the bearing. Never beat on the inside race of a new bearing.

Driving them out cold will wear out your cases.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Ol'89r said:
You didn't get the cases hot enough. Do like Indy said and heat them in an oven or take a large torch and heat them in a circular motion until you can sizzle a drop of water on them. If you use a torch, start at a point furthest away from the bearing and using a circular motion, heat the cases, working the torch inward towards the bearing so the bearing is the last thing to receive the heat. DON'T hold the torch in any one spot for any length of time. Aluminum melts at a very low temp.

If you get them hot enough the bearing should drop out or only take a light tap with a deep socket and hammer.

Install them the same way. Use a socket or driver that fits the outside diameter of the bearing. Never beat on the inside race of a new bearing.

Driving them out cold will wear out your cases.

I found that when heating the cases in the oven, they stayed hotter longer, and made the job less of a rush. When I get in any kind of a rush, I tend to screw things up.

Using a torch, I couldn't seem to get the damn things hot enough for long enough to really do a good job.

Bluesmoke250

Apr 10, 2009
The only problem i can see with putting them in the oven is that you have to remove everything on the case such as on the fly wheel side all the support bearings for the gearcase or are these ok to put in the oven?

Top Bottom