KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to remove the main shaft nut cover. You know the slotted cap you take off to check your KIPS is operating properly. Ive tried big flathead screw drivers and putting a coin in the slot. It just one thing after another, I cant seem to win. Its the last thing I need to remove. Please help guys !!!!! :bang:

Attachments

• shaft cover.jpg
    shaft cover.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 72

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
My '90 doesn't have one of those thingies--at least I've never seen it. How about the standard stuff. Propane torch and penetrating oil??

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
cicone said:
My '90 doesn't have one of those thingies--at least I've never seen it. How about the standard stuff. Propane torch and penetrating oil??

Cicone - Those caps are only present on the 95-04 KDX's, their KIPS system while similar in concept to the KIPS system on our 89-94 is completely different in construction.

I'd start with the penetrating oil...give it a good soak with some LDS-3 or WD-40...

-Maurice

cicone

Sep 29, 2003
m0rie said:
Cicone - Those caps are only present on the 95-04 KDX's, their KIPS system while similar in concept to the KIPS system on our 89-94 is completely different in construction.

I'd start with the penetrating oil...give it a good soak with some LDS-3 or WD-40...

-Maurice
Yeah, I noticed that on the buykawasaki site. Might try PB Blaster as well. If all else fails heat her up--and buy a new o-ring!! :cool:

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
Have you tried an impact screwdriver?

When all else fails, they usually do the trick

Attachments

• impactdriver.jpg
    impactdriver.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 71

lankytim

Feb 26, 2004
Hey KAY DEE EXER, can you confirm that the plug is plastic? I had mine out a few weeks ago and thought it felt plastic-ish. I was gonna suggest that using a propane torch might have left you with a stuck KIPS courtesy of plastic melted into the cogs and an impact driver woulda left you with a shattered plug that was still stuck in the hole. Glad you got it sorted.

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
It is cast aluminium and just a sidenote my mate has the sticker image files so now we just wait till he hassles his mate on the presses to print em out for us. Shouldnt be too long now mate. They want $22 for the plug and $2 for the o-ring

Top Bottom