RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Me and my buddy were doing some of our regular maintainance on our 450s today, we changed our oils and air filters checked all fluids, tightened chains and so on. Well this time his bike needed a new chain and both front and rear sprockets. Put hand guards on it, any way, we nearly disassembled half of his YZ reassembled and got both of our bikes cleaned and ready to ride in about 3-4 hours. I can honestly say I really enjoy working on my bike, some people really seem to be disappointed about all the extra maintainance involved in owning 4t, I dont mind it, if it is what I have to do to continue riding the big 4t's then I will do it. Anyone else love working on their bikes? :)

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There are no additional maintenance "hours" on a four stroke and those of us who complain about the additional maintenance of a 4-stroke do love working on our bikes as well. The parts required to maintain are more expensive, but both bikes require the same amount of maintenance.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Well. See thats great. I love working on my stuff until you get into my perdiciment. Yea i like to take them apart and stuff, but i dont have a garage. And i dont have the "proper" tools. So if i want to do something major, like checking the valves on a 4-stroke. (i dont have one, but lets say i did) I would have to go down 20 miles to my dads friends to work in his garage with all the tools. Yeah im always welcome anytime. But i have to drive that far, just to get what i need. And i cant even drivr yet. Ok, i have a big shed, bit it has dirt floors. and it still sucks to work in it.

so yea.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
76GMC1500 said:
There are no additional maintenance "hours" on a four stroke and those of us who complain about the additional maintenance of a 4-stroke do love working on our bikes as well. The parts required to maintain are more expensive, but both bikes require the same amount of maintenance.
Well you are probably right in the actual hours to do things, but the extra hours I have to spend at work sure makes it seem like more maintainance. But really it's not that much more expensive either. I have seen people make their decicion on what bike to get on the basis of maintainance requirements. And they end up missing out on the wonders of the new 4 strokes.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Don't use not having the right tools as an excuse. With a little bit of improv., I can pretty much do anything on a dirt bike with an ammo can full of basic hand tools. The only thing out of the ordinary are feeler guages, bailing wire, o-ring picks, and that kind of stuff. I also carry a hammer and a torque wrench, but those don't fit in the ammo can.

02yz426f

Nov 15, 2006
To check the valves, you need a socket wrench, caliper, and feeler gauge. If you dont have these tools, you could buy them all for less than $30 at sears.

Top Bottom