Maintenance after MUD BATH

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Out here in So Cal a possible new track is being proposed. The owner needed some bikes to conduct a sound test. It rained and we rode on soaked grass and deep mud. One guy got roosted with a patty that covered his nose and mouth and he couldn't breath. Thta was pretty funny. Anyhow, the bike was covered in mud. In addition to normal cleaning after a normal ride, anything I really need to check/replace before more damage is done? I already cleaned off 99% of the mud. I'm sure you guys who live in 4 season parts of the country have lots of experience with mud. Being from Los Angeles, I know about freeway shootings, riots and shoplifting moviestars, but not mud.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
One other thing. I've got an 02 YZ250. I've heard good things about Eric Gorr''s book, but I noticed he only covers bikes up to '00. Would the book still be worth buying?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Eric's book is great. I know it ends with the 00's, but the information, most of it, applies to any year.

I would think checking your brakes would be a good move. Even after you washed the mud out, the mud can get trapped really nice in the calipers. Not that I would make this sort of mistake mind you, but some might.

I just WANTED to buy new brake pins for the performance improvement.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hey Big Al, it's at the Pomona fairplex. Pomona is in eastern edge L.A. County.

www.fairplexmx.com.

CanadianRidr

Sponsoring Member
Oct 22, 2001
Hey Psalm. Bikes are meant to get dirty. They can take it, but this doesn't mean let them stay dirty. Basically you did the first step by making sure all the mud is cleaned off the bike. But remember, mud and dirt cause excess and premature wear. So it's a lot of the moving parts you need to make sure are clean. Take a soft brush to your chain and get the mud and gunk out, make sure you lube it. Clean around the hubs and axles, if you have a feeling mud got past the axles, take the wheels off and clean and regrease those areas. Lube your cables as well.

I think that's most of it, but im sure I forgot some stuff. It's hard to go wrong if you pamper the bike and clean nooks and cranies. :thumb:

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
I cover carb and exhaust openings w/ sandwich bags and remember water under preassure will drive the grease out if it gets past the seals. When Im done I spay everything except my brake rotors and seat with W/d 40.It will keep the rust away and your bike will look like new. Hope this helps.

whyz

~SPONSOR~
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by Bricks88
I spay everything

Except my dog.. Sorry couldn't resist. ;)

Originally posted by Bricks88
except my brake rotors and seat with W/d 40

I did the rotors and forgot to wipe it down the next day and
crashed in the Garage door. My wife was pissed,
so I blamed it on the kid. :yeehaw:

(dust seals)

Last edited:

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Skip the grips too! Brakleen or laquer thinner helps if you want to stop next time you ride.Slippery and stop dont go together.

KaTooMer

~SPONSOR~
Jul 28, 1999
A few mud rides here and there shouldn't cause much need for additional maintenance, other than what's already been described here. Check the carb vents to make sure there isn't any mud packed up there. I'm not a power washer kind of guy - have to be careful with bearings and seals, and it blows off all my darned stickers and graphics.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…