major changes ahead for race teams.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
In case you didn't notice, setting up your bike for outdoors is alot different than SX. Reed has way more SX experience than outdoors so he is gonna know how to set up his bike for SX. I don't think he is comfortable outdoors therefore nothing he does to his bike will feel right.

Hasn't Stewart always been with Kawasaki? or has he switched brands before?

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
SpectraSVT said:
In case you didn't notice, setting up your bike for outdoors is alot different than SX. Reed has way more SX experience than outdoors so he is gonna know how to set up his bike for SX. I don't think he is comfortable outdoors therefore nothing he does to his bike will feel right.

Hasn't Stewart always been with Kawasaki? or has he switched brands before?

What? Clue in dude. How could anyone have way more SX experience than MX? He has been racing MX since he was a kid and been racing SX for what, 3 or 4 seasons?

I think Reed is kinda like MC was, a great SXer and just a really really good MXer.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
I know SX gets a lot of exposure/coverage. But when the average MXer is looking to buy a bike - which results are more likely to influence their decision?
1) SX
2) MX
3) Most bikes on a starting line - especially the privateers

Me? I look at 3, 2, 1 in that order - with little emphasis on 1. Plus most factory bikes aren't too close to what I buy.

That being said. It seems like a factory would want someone who is very likely to be in the top 2 or 3 in both SX and MX. I think that leaves KW, RC, and Bubba. Sorry - I just don't see CR as a hot commodity.

KW just resigned a contract - probably for 2 years - so he is out of the discussion.

May also be why we may be seeing a switch from one high paid rider to support for many satellite teams. Look how many Honda teams there are now. Subway, Factory Connection, Motosport Outlet, Honda itself.... I bet we see more of that going forward. Mor support for 125 and 250 satellite teams.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Sorry - I just don't see CR as a hot commodity.

Joking, right?

As far as the article's concerned, that may be the most pathetic thing that was ever in that pathetic rag. While it's common knowledge that you can ignore 90% of what's in MXA (10% being the ads), for some reason they seem to have an 'insider' thing going. My guess is Wiesel pulls tricks in the factory trucks, but hey...

thebird

Sep 28, 2000
My 2 cents worth
TP factory suzuki support His own team and sponsors
JBS factory support(highest bidder) own team and sponsors
cr rc suzuki will make a bid for their services but will most likley stay with present team.
I think as the sport grows you will see factory support with bikes and parts and tech help but seperate teams ala nascar. I'm not a jbs fan but he will be the one to bring big name sponsors (nike, coke , a credit card co. pepsi and so on) and he will be the one (if it ever happens) to get live tv coverage. It will take him and those big name sponsors to elevate the sport to the next level. Oh yea for those who do not watch or keep up with superbike Micheal jordan's team rides yamaha Just something else to think about with him and jbs talkin

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
I was kinda joking about CR not being a hot commodity. Depends what you are looking for. Marketabillity or front runner.

Case in point - who has more sales appeal.. TP or RC? Don't get me wrong CR will get a great offer to ride for someone, personally, he would be my 3rd choice out of the top 3.

And... Bubba the 1st to bring big names to the sport? Umm... what about Bud Light, 1-800-Collect, Subway, Jack-In-the-Box, Chevy, Red Bull, SOBE, etc. I think big names have tried several times. JBS may get them to stay or find a good way for them to get a return on their investment or just get a good paycheck from them.

1st - I think there needs to be a way to sell advertising real estate or commercials or.... Besides a podium speech - how often do you ever hear or see any sponsor? Fix that issue and someone or team will bring in more big names.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
What is needed for live coverage is to get rid of Clear Channel... Daytona, non-Clear Channel event, has been same day for two years now!!!!

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
super rat said:
What? Clue in dude. How could anyone have way more SX experience than MX? He has been racing MX since he was a kid and been racing SX for what, 3 or 4 seasons?

I think Reed is kinda like MC was, a great SXer and just a really really good MXer.

Aussie races have a lot of supercross style tracks. Thats one of the reasons why he went to Europe to get MX experience in the GP's. And I have more SX experience than MX. Its not like its uncommon.

And not to compare myself to anyone, I find it much easier to set up my bike for Sx than MX. Perhaps Reed sux at bike set up or like MC, just doesn't have that ability to ride outdoors.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Fix that issue and someone or team will bring in more big names.

Problem is a bike isn't as big as a nastycar. Can't plaster 10 foot TIDE logos on a KX125 (read: retarded, disgusting motorsport--wait, it's not a motorsport). Hey, maybe they could mount a huge flag on a pole into the subframe and sail that baby around. Or they could drag nascar hoods around with a rope.

Let's face it. Advertising promise (during the race) with MX/SX is miniscule, and personally I wouldn't want it any other way. The sport can still prosper without corporation-sponsored ads. eg, why do pro football and basketball teams not require huge scumbag corporations to make them float? Cuz they're all American popular sports, and MX/SX doesn't need sponsorship money to get people to watch and therefore allow higher salaries for everyone...privateers included. What it needs is intrinsic interest, like pro ball--hell, like FMX which, without obvious sponsors exploded onto the scene by way of the MTV crowd.

Bubba is a start. I can't tell you how many non-mx people I've told about him, that start watching SX just because of him. Another nice idea would be to have the AMA or CCE put up commercials during approprate sporting events (even football).

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Not to take anything away from Bubba, but MC was the one who brought SX into the mainstream with his streak of '96. Thats when the stadiums started selling out and the non-industries sponsers started taking notice. Speaking of advertising logo's, whatever happened to the plastic covers that covered the entire motor craddle on the bikes? I thought those would take off just because of the extra sponser logo space they provided.

BigR

Dec 27, 2000
I think the plastic covers cause heat issues.

Why not more helmet cams with the logos on the screen - like the Hillfeger add?
If we have to wait for the to tape delay anyway.... how about a small strip of space at the top that displayed riders sponsors anytime they showed them - or just a scroll bar that had a riders name and one or two major sponsors after it.
A leader board or something.

Stick and ball sports... There's a lot of them that operate in the red. I believe broadcast networks pay the organizations to broadcast - ticket prices are ridiculous (well so are SX tickets...)

And.... I believe the players belong to a union....

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Spectra i think we need to look at reed record outdoors, its not as good as his indoor riding but its far from bad, roughly i think he was
250gps 2nd or 3rd
125 AMA outdoors 2nd or 3rd?
250 AMA outdoors 3rd?
Now thats not as good as his SX record but we cant say he cant ride the outdoor stuff.

SpectraSVT

Apr 17, 2002
I just mean he doesn't have that little bit extra. I am a huge Reed fan so I'm not hating on him. I would love to see him get right in there with RC and K-Dub this year. Seeing how he loves his bike so much this year maybe those bike setup issues will not be a prob.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom