RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
April 29th of 07 I had a major injury jumping a 65 to 75 foot double. I cant really tell you what went wrong except that I over jumped it with my rear wheel kicked way out. I ended up with complete fracture of my tibia and fibia, dislocated shoulder that the surgeon said was the worst that he had ever seen, a lacerated kidney and a concussion. Any way my question is that Im scared now. Will I get over this? As of right now a big part of me wants to sell it all and find a new hobby. But there is still some dirt rider left in me.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Depends on how bad you want it. I,ve talked with a guy at the local track that has broke his back 3 times and he is still at it. When I asked him why he still does it he replied, it's in my blood, I have to ride or else and this guy was in his 30's.

May 10, 2007
dont be scared just start slowly.

i had a friend that shattered his knee(he was riding his dad's ktm 500 not sure the model. but he hit powerband in a wheelie and the front tire snagged a tree branch. and had to have 3 different surgeries for it. it took him awhile but he finally got on his bike again and is riding almost every weekend now.

when you fall off you gotta get back on (eventually at least)

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
I like riding to much to stop for and injury. Exept maybe something really bad like if I got paralized. but then I would have to stop anyway. I just had a bad fall last week going over the bars and tore a ligamen and could be off the bike for 6 months or more :yikes: All I want to know is when I can ride again, I dont really care about the surgeries. And racing season is just starting :bang:

Jan 31, 2005
Depends on how many responsibilities you have. Self employed, family, insurance etc... I would go back and tackle the double. Good gear and a clean mind helps. Take care and stay buisy time will fly.

FunkyD

Apr 26, 2007
My dad just crashed off a 20 foot sand dune drop into lava rock and broke his wrist in 2 places, broke a rib and ruptured his spleen and is all rearin to go ride in 6 weeks when he is healed. And he is 43!

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
No one can answer that question for you - it'll come to you. Myself I had a bad crash road racing in 1989 - broke my back in 3 places, did some brain and nerve damage, was deaf in one ear and lost the feeling on half of my head, and had a bad burn on one foot that took a year and a half to heal. I had to learn to walk again - took 6 months, and I was in rehab for 5 years. The first thing I asked when I came to and they told me I broke 3 vertabrae was "will I be able to race again?". I never did race again but I always knew that I'd ride again - it's in my blood, as far back as I can remember I thought about riding. It took me 10 years after the crash (1999) before I bought another bike but I bought magazines and read about them the entire time. Now I put about 8-9,000 miles on my street bike a year and about 70 hours a year on my dirt bike. I personally couldn't ever give it up unless I was paralyzed or something along those lines.

RMZRyder

Dec 1, 2006
Thanks for all the replies, the stronger I get the more I think about getting back on my bike. I think I will ride again.

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
To second what was said earlier: You dont have to fly 90 feet in the air to have fun. If you want to work up to that again great, but take it slow, just get out there and have fun and dont pressure yourself. Try not to over think it. You will know if you are ready to hit a big one again!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
There is a lot more to riding than just jumps or even just tracks. If you are unsure consider trails or even trials ay least as a re-entry point. Above all if you just don't feel it don't force it.

savaunte

Mar 12, 2006
It was a year ago today, that I broke my Tib/Fib. Like you, I was jumping and lost control..lucky for me the broken leg was the only injury I sustained.

After the injury, everyone I talked to told me to sell my bike..but I decided that I must at least fix my bike and get back on it at least one more time before making the final decision. I started slow, riding on flat ground, back roads etc. It eased my mind, and now im back riding almost every weekend. Im not as aggresive as I was before the injury, but im riding and having just as much fun as ever.

Take it slow, like others posted..jumping isnt the only thing you have to do on an MX bike.

MHawkmx

Mar 7, 2006
I had a pretty major arm fracture a few years back....then last year I broke my leg.

I considered getting out of the sport but as I looked back I could see that the reason I got injured was my own fault. I wasn't riding smart and I attempted to ride well above my experience and skill level.

I still ride and hit all the spots that caused the injuries...I just ride smarter and with in my ability and have way more fun....give it time and see how you feel when you are fully recovered.

Keep those joints limber and moving as much as you can. Rehab can be a beast if you don't.

Good luck!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom