sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
Ok i have a kxf250 '08 it has 54.5 hrs on it.
Now im am about to do some major work on the bike, but as of late its started to have some issues.
1. just last ride it decided to just die on me at top end i was ridding for a while with some bigger bikes but all of a sudden it boged out and wouldnt start for an hour or two (it didnt lock up or anything just wouldnt kick like the vavles where shot) but i changed the plug and gave the air fuel a quick fiddle and back to life it came with some back fireing but i got the mechanic to tune it up and now its blowing smoke.(pretty sure it cause it burning oil somewhere after reading a theard and talking to a few guys.) any idea's
2. It sounds like its idleing really high compared to the bikes i go ridding with. Should i get the mechanic to check that out?
3. I know a top end is long over due and i plan on doing it just wanted to know if its worth doing the top end first and then getting the show to tune it and see if that fixes any problems.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
How many times have your checked your valve adjustment in those 54.4 hours? If the answer is 0, your valves are probably toast. Just take it apart.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Has your valve adjustment moved much? If it is burning oil, you should just take it apart and start inspecting everything.

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
i donno if it has moved much or not i get it done by the machanic cause he does it cheap so i put it in all the time to get them done so i dont get stuck out in the bush with a bike not starting

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Depends on how safe you want to be, if so then I'd be looking at the crank/rod or at the very least they'd be done prior to reaching 100 hours.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If you are going to do it yourself, get a service manual. It will tell you in the manual what to look for and will spell out all of the wear specs.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
It sounds like you have somebody else do all the light work so why would you do a complete rebuilt yourself?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
sx2504life said:
so i dont get stuck out in the bush with a bike not starting

Yeah no sense to hang with the crocs after dark...If you are ready to start saving some coin, and you have a modicum of mechanical prowness, you should buy the manual, read it, and then re-read it. If you have a digital camera take pictures of every move you make tearing down the mill. Measurements might be a challenge, but, if you are up to it, buy a set of micrometers and measure the used parts where required. I would have the head done at a machine shop (new seats/valves ground in). You could install the new parts like piston, rings, maybe a timing chain, possibly a new crank, and ride away to the bush again. Or, you could take the bike to the local Kaw dealer and pay for the work which is probably pretty expensive down under...cheers mate.

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
i do afair bit myself i used to do all my own on my 2 stroke but didnt really wanna risk it too much with this bike being my 1st 4 stroke and all so i get the machanic to do it and when its only 40 bucks why waste the time in the time it would take me to do it i could make more at work so

Top Bottom